APD1146 has fuel gauge problem

Discussion in 'Boating' started by APD1146, Apr 23, 2006.

1. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I'm asking for help again from my brothers and sisters here at BOC.
    I have replaced and worked on my tilt/trim, new marine radio, two depthfinders, all new gauges, new, fuel gauge and replaced the tank pickup for the gas tank. The problem is I can not get the fuel gague to read the amount of gas in the tank. I wired it the way I was told to and nothing. I have rewired it several times using different wiring diagrams provided with no luck.
    The tank is full ! It should be a simple thing to wire but I'm getting no where. I will be leaving in a few days for Santee and do not want to be on that lake without a gague. I thought maybe I was grounded it out to something other them what I should or to many times. I took out about 200 fet of wire when I got the boat that went no where but spaghettiville and disconnected. I have rewired most of the boat and blowers, bilge pumps, and anything else you can think of.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    All I can tell you about wiring your fuel gauge is this;

Purple wire from ignition to "I" on the gauge. Purple is hot when the key is on.

Black wire from a good ground to "G" on the gauge, from there to either the ground tab or a screw on the sending unit.

Another wire, should be pink for proper color code, from "S" on the gauge to center stud on the sending unit.

If that doesn't work, look into the gauge

3. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Thanks for the input Bob. The purple wire is a new one on me. Apparently my purple wire is red. This is however a little different diagram from two others I have tried. I can tell you the gauge is from Napa Auto stores and the sending unit is from West Marine. Both are brand new. Does the size of the wires have anything to do it? To light or too heavy? I am really at a loss on such a simple little thing as this. A auto gauge should not make a difference should it. After rewiring the whole damn boat and equipment on it.
    John

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  5. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Hey thanks Willard. This is not the first time you have helped me and I want to thank you personally. I have not gone over it all but did look at that site briefly and it looks like a GREAT site. :) After wiring the whole boat from stem to stern you would think this would and should be simple, but has me stumped. I will spend some tie on that site i'm sure. I saved it to my files. Again Willard, I want to thank you. It is people like yourself that make this site a joy to visit and find answers.
    I personally wish we could keep it fishing related instead of tomato plants and sport teams, and truck and car info, camping, hunting, etc, etc, if you know what I mean. Maybe even have another side site where these type of answers could be answered/ discussed. I know a lot of us here know a lot of stuff about a lot of things to share but tomato and pepper plants should belong in a garden type site or elsewhere. I guess that is the way we at BOC just care to help the other guys / girls on this site. Just my opinion and like a--holes we all have one.
    Thank again, your the greatest.
    John