Apache Lake - Revisisted

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by SilencedMajority, Jun 16, 2006.

1. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I was hoping someone out there would have some information on Apache Lake. I've heard of the fish kills a few years back, and how it used to be a good flathead fishery. I also know that a recent AZGFD survey turned up good flathead numbers with a 40lb fish as well. Someone here on the BOC said they thought it was an underfished flathead lake.

I would be happy to try it out if someone knows a good spot to fish from the shore. Its only about 30min from my house, so I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig if no one thinks its good fishing. Any information would help.

Thanks brothers.

2. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Go to wide world of maps and buy a map of the lake. They have all the contour lines and depths on them. I have one and have studied it but just never gotten over there to fish it. Might have to one night this summer. What got my attention was when they were holding night bass tournys there there would always be some flatheads caught. Just might be worth a try. I don't think the fish kills affected the cats much.

3. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    An old member of boc who used to post on here (believe his name was crush)& has a website called azflatheads or something used to say he felt it was underfished & in the next couple years some huge ones are going to be pulled out of it. I recall him talking about fishing along the big boulders in coves across the marina or something. I dont think he ever targeted flatheads here very hard but when messing around had caught some..

Fishergirl420 has fished at this lake all her life & tells me stories of cousins & family members pulling in big channels. Ive seen her catch a 8 lb channel off a hot dog at the lower burnt coral camping area (very dope area with nice beach). Weve never really tried fishing for flats here, as soon as we got into flathead fishing,everytime we were in that area we just hit up the diversion dam on Rosey.

I was told by another old timer that there are alot of good eating walleye that are easy to catch when the sun comes up off of spoons & other shiney lures. Dont know if you can catch them this time of the year but I thought it was some good info..

4. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    There are some very big cats in this lake. Nailed a 12 pound channel up there once. 3- 5 pounders, both channels & flats, are common. Best luck on bluegills, waterdogs, and night crawlers. Get a map. Fish between Burnt Corral and barriers in front of Roosevelt Dam. Locate the river bed if you have sonar and fish adjacent to that. I've had my best luck in about 20 feet of water. Awful road, beautiful lake. Good luck

5. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Thats an understatement!!

6. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yeah, There's nothing like Fish Creek Hill in a drving rain with drum brakes!

Attached Files:

7. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Been there done that before older Ford truck pulling a 18ft bass boat. Driving rain..uggg Looking over the edge of the cliff, out of the passenger side window. Hugging the edge so that another vehicle can make it past you. That was about 18 years ago and I havent tried that drive since.