AOL Users...Hope you dont have to cancel your account, this will give you a laugh

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by teaysvalleyguy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
  2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That was crazy cancel the account is pretty straight foward.

3. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I would of not been that nice, I promise you that.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Can't say I would have either. After a few choice words I would have hung up and called back because you never get the same person twice.

5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive used AOL for years its a huge ordeal when you have to call them up for something. When I set up a account for my mom i got a ear full when i had to call aol up since there disk wouldnt work ladie was telling me about her dog and telling me all about all this other stuff that i needed to get added onto the account blah blah blah prob spent over 30 mins seting up the account. Its almost like they get paid to keep you on the phone longer.

6. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    James that could be a strong possibility. They may get paid like a bonus commision or something. That guy has since been fired they said. LMAO

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd rather slide down a 20' razor buck naked than install AOL... Just my opinion...

8. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO, but all those free disks. hehehe They are peer pressure one ya.

9. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I had that identical conversation when I called to cancel AOL because their dial-up wouldn't ever connect. I had unlimited minutes from the old days. With all the growth in our area, there weren't enough open phone numbers to get on - it would go thru the 10 closest phone numbers dialing, then tell me I had to dial by long distance and pay by the minute. You cannot call AOL customer service to cancel an account - that selection on the phone menu when you call them lets you sit on hold for as long as you're willing to stay like that.

SO, I called to open an account, got a real person (at least I thought so!). After about 10 minutes of similar BS from Tea's video back and forth with the lady, I finally got her to say she would confirm, in writing, by mail, that she had cancelled the account. A few days later, a notice came, supposedly the confirmation, that said "This is to comfirm our recent phone contact relative to cancelling your account. If you really want to cancel your account, please fill out this form and return it to... ." Since my wife had put the AOL billing direct to my Discover card, I called Discover customer service. The guy told me they get hundreds of calls a day wanting to cancel the auto billing for AOL for the same reasons, but you can't do it that way. The only recourse is to cancel the credit card, and have it reissued with a new number, which messes up all of the autobilling you might have on it. I did that.

I've been ignoring AOL mail ever since, but I cannot find a way to delete their software from my PC. It seems that when you run "Uninstall Programs" from Control Panel, it dials up AOL and reopens your account. I can't even turn off AIM. Slimy b@$t@rds ought ot be nuked for predatory internet practices.

Sorry for the rant, but I would recommend never getting an AOL CD-ROM anywhere close to your PC.

Dennis

10. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    lol... that is great... thanx for sharing... i had gotten the same thing when i canceled my account... when they had asked me what the problem was, i told them straight up "you guys are robbing people that have dsl and cable internet, charging them $40 a month to use your software which is only an internet browser, and email. i'm already paying $40 a month for my internet, i have free email from yahoo, and i don't even like your internet browser, i use a avant browser which is also free, i'm not paying you guys any money at all for this"... i had been suckered in by the free disk... and was near the end of it... lol... those things are a bunch of bs... lol

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Matt thats not too far from the truth I had AOL it took me 5 months of constant calling to finally get it canceled

12. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I called to cancel AOL 3 weeks ago that could have been me on the tape the first half is a caned speach I got the same thing.

13. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just one more reason to add to the LONG LIST of reasons why not to even initiate service with them. They suck!