Anything Other Than Bluegill?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mdudes17, Jun 16, 2006.

1. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    Does anyone use anything other than live bluegill for flatheads? if so, what is it? (type of minnow and size)

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    A lot of guys use shad or chubs also. Ive never caught anything with either but I usually dont fish for the bigguns exclusivly. I have caught pleanty with Blue gill tho

3. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    I catch them on 3'' goldfish or 4'' to 6'' crappie.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I picked up some cut up mackerel from walmart last night. Gonna try it out tonight in case we cant get many blue gill.

5. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    flatheads arent that picky. use any sort of fish as long as it is alive

6. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I like to use the biggest goldfish i can get,or some bullheads. But i do prefer a hand size perch.

7. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Been my experience also. I have caught a few small ones on nightcrawlers, fishing for bait.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    If it is in the water and moves it is food to a flathead, they will also hit cutbait so I guess it don't have to move. Any fish or amphibian that is legal to use in your area will work. One of the local guides here on Ky. lake catches some big flatheads every year on leeches.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've also used: goldfish,Israeli carp,creek chubs,shiners,bullheads,warmouth,suckers,bass,and I'm sure there are some I've forgotten.Usually any fish alive I'll try for flatheads.

10. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i caught a 10# on a 11 inch river drum. i don't know how that fish fit in its mouth, but it did. i like to use whats available. i fish the river a lot, and there are a lot of river drum, so i figure thats what the flathead are used to seeing.

11. bartmccollum

bartmccollum New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Crawdads......Crawdads......Crawdads!!!!!!!!!!

12. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Live shad and perch seem to work the best around here. But fresh cut ones work real good too.

-Red

13. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I use bluegill most of the time on one pole. If I have time before a tourney, I'll wade a creek and get some chubs. Catch most of our fish on shrimp or chicken liver.

14. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use a variety of bait. Usally what ever is easiest to catch bluegills,suckers,chubs,white bass,drum,shad,and trout.

15. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    id say goldfish,shade,shiners,creek chubs,crappie,bullheads,shellcrackers,eels,frogs,and skip jack hope this helps.:lol:

16. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    thanks for the info

17. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    While I understand that many use live bluegill for bait, My preference is 'green sunfish'. This is the most common fish in Kansas and Missouri and they commonly reside in most waters of both states. My experience has been that flats as well as channels (and largemouth bass for that matter) prefer the slimmer profile of the green sunfish. I'm a stickler for using the correct name of the various species of fish and find this board a little confusing at times when some speak of using "perch" for bait. My guess is that many times they may mean 'green sunfish' rather than a real perch. This is really a teriffic board and full of great information.

Ralph

18. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    In the South blue gill are referred to as bream or perch.
    Redear sunfish as shellcrackers,
    Here in indiana bluegills can be any of the sunfish family except bass.
    Green sufish, yellowbellies, redears, longeared sunfish ,or bluegills ther are moe variities but can't think of them, I have caught some i wasn't sure about the name.
    anyway Ilike to use what i catch from water i'm fishing. I think the fish are used to seeing them as food. No one minchoned suckers.

19. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use anything that is big alive and swims.

20. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm going to try some green sunfish this weekend. I'm hoping to catch one upwards of 20lbs.