Anything on the Satilla River

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by matt22va, Aug 15, 2007.

1. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Thinking about going up and fishing the Satilla around burnt fort. Anybody got any info of how the fish are bitin lately?

2. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Its been a long time, I used to fished at least once a week.Great for bass and red breast back then. We crossed the River at Waycross and it was almost dried up, very little water up there.
    Have a great and safe weekend.
    Walter

3. dallas

dallas New Member

State:
    Jackson,Georgia
    Flathead catfish removal, using electro-fishing equipment, will continue until a more effective method is determined. As of July 31, 2007, more than 15,164 pounds of flathead catfish (2,562 fish) have been removed from the river since April 25, 2007.

found this article on GDNR website , they want the flathead off the Satilla

4. dallas

dallas New Member

State:
    Jackson,Georgia
    The bulk of the flathead population is below US Hwy. 82, with an extremely dense population occurring in the lower, tidal portion of the river from 3-R Fish Camp on down to Woodbine.

Concern for the survival of native fish populations spurred the Georgia legislature to fund three positions with the Georgia Dept. of Natural Resources/Wildlife Resources Division (WRD) dedicated to reducing the Satillas flathead catfish population and restoring the native redbreast sunfish population.
    This crew is aggressively searching for a combination of methods to reduce the dominance or even eliminate the flathead catfish from the Satilla

5. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Good post Dallas. I saw the article in the paper Sunday. I just called and spoke with a buddy of mine in the DNR office about the removal. He said that they have taken over 3000 flatheads now with some up to 30-40 pounds. He said most are good eating size under 10 pounds. Unfortunately, they cannot give these to needy families since the mecury levels are too much for weekly comsumption and have to be discarded. He also said they are taking stomach samples and they have found a high number of saltwater species in the flatheads. I guess with the drought, saltwater fish are coming up further in the flatheads territory and getting eaten.