Anything i can use for Channel catfish bait other than stinkbait?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by channelcat_tracker, Jul 1, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    anything i can use for channel cats other than stinkbait?!?!?!?! i use sonnys channel cat bait and i catch TONS of catfish yet nothing over a few pounds. i used worms and caught the one in my dp which weighed at 8 pounds. i havent used shad or bluegill as bait and i hear bullheads work! any other baits i can use to catch MY trophy cat on?!?!?!?! :confuse:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Try live or cut shad or bluegill.I've had good success with both for channels,use 'em live and you may end up with a big ol' flattie!!!

3. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    anything special you have to do to cut bait??? like take the scales off???

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Some people do,I cut off the head for 1 piece.Then I cut off the end of the tail and throw it away.Then I use the middle piece for a second piece of bait.If its big enough,fillet it and use pieces of the meat.Sometimes on live bait,I'll make a little cut by the tail to let a little blood out,not enough to kill it,just enough to make the cats feed.For cut bait,I've had best luck with the head.Hope this helps out,I'm sure others will give you other ways.

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Yeah try some live bluegill, and bigger pieces of cut bait. Also try some big shrimp. The wait's gonna be longer for a trophy fish, but fish bigger and youll get bigger fish.

6. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    HELP I NEED MAJOR HELP!!!!!!!!! this aint working and only small ones on stinkbait yet i see big cats being caught next to me! what am i doing wrong

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

use your imagination there are some many different things to use for bait on catfish. Try the library for more ideas but here a few to get you started. shrimp, gulp power bait, dead minnows, bream cut/liv, shad cut/live, garlic hotdogs, crickets, chicken livers and thats just a few. Hope this helps you some.

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    What size cut bait are you using, and how big are the hooks that you are using.

9. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    the head of an average gill with a #5 J hook!

10. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    :0a26: yup try livers or even a different place to fish if your in a pond or res. that might be all the bigger they are right now

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    This time of the year use grasshoppers. You'll catch anything from 1/4 lb up. They love em'. To catch them, get a buddy and a minnow seine and drag it trough an area of johnson grass or bermuda grass. Something soft that won't tear the seine. Put them in a minnow bucket or other container which will let air pass through it, otherwise they will die pretty fast.

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Fresh Cut bait, cant go wrong there brother.

13. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    For channels,I am a firm believer in using raw shrimp from walmart.Tried and true,it won't let you down.Good luck

14. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    I like cut shad.. So do the Cats

15. cannady4

cannady4 New Member

State:
    il
    Think about it. A trophy cat wont bother eating a little dip worm or little bait at all. Personal experiance tought me that goldeye (moon eye) works great!!!! Cought a 19 #er last night. Also try using a defferent type hook. I use a kahle. From 3/0-5/0. The best advice anyone can give you is to throw that stink bait away if you wanna catch trophy fish. Bait big to catch big!!!!!!!!

16. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Whats the area like that your fishing. what has the temp in your area been lately. how deep is the area your fishing. what does the area have init.

I say go with cut shad or creek chubs cut. whole dead or live. always try to keep the bait of bottom a foot or alittle over.

Better details make for better answers.

17. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Tony, what kind of place are you fishing? I haven't seen a big one for a few weeks. The fish are busy makin more fish. On the river, away from the res they seem to like chubs more than cut shad at least so far this year. On the res I use shad 100% of the time. About the last four times I have been out it has been real slow. I got one 3-4# saturday and I sat for 5-6 hours.

You can tell where the big ones aren't at if they are way too many baitfish that they could fit down. Where I was at the other day there were hundreds of baby channel cats 4" long. A cast net full of them ain't no good.

18. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Patience grasshopper!

You are experiencing what I refer to as putting in the time.

You need to get some seniority on the water.

Take what these great guys are teaching you and use it to toward getting your own mojo.

Fishing is part science and part religion.

Learn everything you can and then follow your instinct.

19. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Chubs or shiners. Fish 'em up or trap out of a local creek, hooked thru the eyes or lips. Fish on a slip rig. You might even tempt a flattie or two.

Dennis

20. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i use worms/cut bluegill and that works just fine...well go catch the big ones