Anything Happening at Branched Oak??

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishjohn54, Apr 10, 2008.

1. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Any catfish action at Branched Oak???

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the boc good to have you aboard

3. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    They were catching flat heads in 26 feet of water last month. The biggest one that I heard was 54 inches, but most were 10 to 20 lbs. I talked to a guy that said that he caught a blue in the backwaters. I am planning on going out there next week to pre fish for the tourny. Anyone fishing out there next saturday for the tourny??

4. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Picture that you see by my name is from Branched Oak last year around this time. We had ten fish, but those were our largest ones. They are all over 10 lbs.

5. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Where is trhe best place to fish in the shallows. i have been around to the northernmost side and it is obstructed by trees. How and where does one get back in the trees?

6. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    To get to the north arm you can only get there by boat. There are some good spots if you work the trees and sticks. You might be able to find a few places on the south that would produce fish. Stay shallow and find structure!!!!!!!!

7. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    there wont be a problem finding that. the water is way way back in the sapplings. we were out there and we lapped the whole thing that north leg you cant get past them things maybe a chainsaw? theres big ones in there and boy the holes on the other side those sapplings are goin to be killer fishin holes now if i could only get to them. Oh and with out passing the sapplings on the north side i couldnt find anything shallower then 6' on the south side how ever you could get down to 3 but averaged 4 before you got into the trees again.

8. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    what do you mean sapplings?? Why do you think that there are big ones in there?? What did you see to make you think that?? There is a way to get past those tall weeds, if that is what you're talking about. I did it last year, but never got a bite.

9. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    sapplings small trees. because with the wind coming from the south the dead vegetation and trash and fish will get caught in up in the "sappllings" or cover the "feeder fish" will hover in that cover. its not weeds they are sapplings or small trees weeds you can go thru over these there is no choice but to go around. and they are thick! youd have trouble trying to walk thru them if it wasnt 6' deep there.

10. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Did you see any holes or open water on the other side??

11. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    Oh yea nice ones. like i had said before if a guy could back in them i think theyd do really well next time your out there go on back and take a look its just the lake is up so far. when it was down all the trees grew up and now the back water is way back there. theres other holes on the southside but you can get to some of them.

12. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    did you try along those sipplings on the outter side?? Did you try the south side holes??

13. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i tried along both sides and into one hole on the south side. it was just one of those days. where the experience of being there is more then what you catch. nothing wrong with that. that was last friday tomorrow is a new day.

14. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    oh hell ya!! I am thinking about going on Sunday sometime!!!

15. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    geez guys now you make me want to go out!!! but is snowing now!!!:angry::angry::angry:

16. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Call me crazy, but I am headed out into the wind, snow and cold. I am going to try the back waters and the sapplings.

17. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    good luck! i plan on firing up the grille and cookin me some ribs and brats! ill go fishin tomorrow when its not gonna rain.

18. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    ill be fishing too, gunna try some of my homemade baits. if my bait keeps preforming like it has in the past i could be on to something here?:eek:oooh:

19. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Crazy day to go fishing but I caught so huge blues today!!! I was fishing on the south side back by the trees in 5 feet of water. My first fish hit and it was a blue that was 11 lbs. My second fish was a blue that topped the scales at 21 lbs. My third and final fish was about 6 pound channel. I was only out there for 2 hours fishing. It was cold, windy but fun. I am working on loading some pictures and a video that my buddie took of the 21

20. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    Nice catch. I wanted to go out today. I got my son this weekend though. He wanted to go, but its just too cold for him to sit on the bank. Cant wait till next weekend. Lows in the mid 40's.:big_smile: