Anyone who lives and/or fishes on the Ohio or Mississippi River opinions on river

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by loanwizard, Feb 22, 2007.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    A group of Ohio Boys were headed to Henderson this weekend to fish for monster Blues. To keep an eye on the water, we have been monitoring this site: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=pah&gage=owbk2&view=1,1,1,1,1,1

In looking at this we have discovered that there is a wall of water coming through with river levels fluctuating as much as 20 feet. It is going through Marietta today, Cinci tomorrow, Markland Sat, Henderson Sat and Sunday.

My question is, at what water level above normal pool do you feel it safe to fish from a 14 ft boat?
    16? 18? 20?

How fast does that water flow, what stage does the debri get large? I would think that a 40 tree coming downstream at a 20 foot boat at anchor.... well the tree would win 100% of the time. Is it irresponsible to be on the river at any period over the action stage, flood stage, or before?

Is the river too mean when it takes 12 ozs plus to hold bottom? I don't beleive there is any wrong answer, I just want opinions from you who deal with it regularly. I'd like to travel to some of these world class fisheries, but not at the expense of personal injury or loss of life.

Thanks in advance for your time and information.

2. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Shawn,
    Since i've yet to fish the ohio someone else that fishes that area regularly will probably give you a better answer. I'll tell ya tho, looking at that guage "Thats alot of water!" Any river i've been on with the water level jumping like that was full of debris. In a 14 footer i'd say that would be tough. Like i said, someone from the area may be better to give you an answer.

We fish 12+ ounce current all the time and i've seen 6ft kayaks on the river. We fish out of a 17fter and i wouldn't feel comfortable with any less. But if i had too i'd fish it with a 14fter. LOL If you guys do decide to go, be careful and remember to keep those jackets on! We need to know if the fish are bitin! :tounge_out:

Ask jw, he did mention using you for an anchor once....... Hey jw, is it safe??:wink:

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Water depth and current have no bearing on when I will fish the river, as long as I can fish a place that the debris is bypassing. I will go as long as there are no huge trees floating down stream.

Everyone has their own limits and i respect that.
    Don't go if you are not comfortable with the conditions.

4. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Loanwizard, It all depends on the kind of boat you have and how much experience you have on the river. Me personally I would not be on the river in a 14ft. boat in water over 20 ft. I love to fish the river when the river is high because, it is easier to target the fish. Most of the time when the river is high you try to find the slack water areas to fish. Mostly using 6 to 8 oz. of lead. to keep your bait down, when if you were fishing the fast current it would take 12 to 16 oz. of lead.Catfish are smart! They don't get big by having to chase bait. They let the bait come to them!

5. catfisher74354

catfisher74354 New Member

State:
    miami,okla.
    Hey in when the river is rollin but i'm like the other guys. If it looks dangerous i would highly consider a much larger boat, probably a 16-20 ft. with a bottom width of at least 56 inches, and lean more towards a 72 inch bottom width. I have been in a couple of situations in a small boat and it is not fun. And always wear your P.F.D. in these waters. Also keep in mind your H.P. Range don"t get down stream and be under powered and cannot make it back upstream. Ihope this info helps ya.
    Terry Rogers
    Catfisher74354

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    shawn i can promise you this my brother and i will be on the water saturday morning we are launching out of madison indiana thats about half way between markland and the falls vern says they are callin for high winds which means we will be in my 16' river jon instead of his 14' starcraft (which by the way he just put a new prop on and is anxious to take out ) never the less my boat does better in high winds and choppy water , high water and debris make no difference to an experienced boater who remembers to watch his speed , dont go so fast you cant dodge that log and or too slow so as it runs over you . ancher as jw said in the right spot and you will be fine below eddie holes , on the down river side of inside bends stay away from ancherin near the main channel thats were most of the bigger trash will be and besides with water on the rize they should be feeding near the banks where the bait fish will run to escape the current

your more than welcome to bring a boat and follow us around saturday if you like we plan on some great blues ourself and have had good reports from several freinds in the area

7. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Shawn, first of all you should have used this link. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/river...rograph&data[]=obs&submit=Make+my+River+Page!
    There is a dam between Owensboro and Henderson. The link above is for the river level at Evansville which is alot closer to Henderson. The Ohio river is predicted to crest at 25.2 feet Sunday. I personally will be on the river Friday and Saturday. I will fish the Ohio at just about any level, but I have a wide 17' Lowe river jon. I was out yesterday and a 5 oz. sinker was doing a good job at keeping the bait on the bottom and not moving. I am sorry you guys won't make it this weekend. I was looking forward to meeting you all. And what ka_c4_boom said about debris on the river is true. You just have to take extra precautios where in that situation. If you still want to come down to do some fishing, I will have an empty seat in my boat Friday.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The river wasn't all that bad today. It was only at 24.8 and rising, very little bebris but it was raining pretty good, LOL!!!

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    it was windy and cold for us but we got off the water around 4pm before the rain started here

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Pool stage here is 13.5' and, Action stage is at 24'. I have fish this section of the Ohio at 32' and nevr thought twice about it. Water is water "doesn't matter how much is under you".

11. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I've used the following before http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lmk&gage=cnni3&view=1,1,1,1,1,1

and it failed me miserably. It was supposed to be dropping and instead rose 10 while we were there! Lesson learned: be careful where you park near big rivers! If there's a shot you can catch the fish and not be killed trying, it's worth getting out there. I can't wait until the ice breaks up around here in northeast indiana.

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The Ohio River @ Evansville, Ind. is supposed to crest at 38.8 friday @ 6:00am and start falling fast. This should make for a very intresting weekend on the river, LOL!!!

13. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would worry more about wind than depth. I was fishing at Cave In Rock Ill. on the Ohio and the wind was blowing pretty good. When you cant see over the swells without standing up it gets a little to much for me. Wear a life jacket and use common sense. Bo