Anyone watch extreme engineering ?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Nov 23, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    last night i caughtmy first episode of thid show and they were building
    off shore oil rigs and storage pumping facilities for the artic pocket they found near russia.
    the sheer size of this was mind boggleing to me .
    the reporter was taken up through the derrick to see the blast walls put in
    place and he was taken on a tour up into the huge crane that is the highest point of this mammoth project.
    he was weak in the knees when he sat in the operators seat as the floor is transparent glass or something else stronger.
    he was haveing second thoughts about decending the shaht of stairs down to the control room after the ride up to the top of the rig.
    then they showed bits about the 500 mile pipe line needed to transport the gas/oil to a warmer location to ship.
    just wondering if anyone else seen this episode?
    i think ive found a favorite learning show if they have things like this on it all the time.

2. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I watch the show all the time.Both of my boys (age 9 & 4) love to watch it also.I catch alot of interesting stuff on the Discovery & History channels.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i unsuccessfully tried to find what i watched last night here on the web. i was going to add a bit more detail to what i had seen but couldn't remember some of what i was hearing last night.
    i know they were on a 5 month deadline to get the pipeline in place due to severe cold weather comeing in makeing outside work impossible to man.
    i cant even recall the name of the rig , i do remember it was being built in south korea and would be floated out to its location.
    italso was going to be set on piers that were built to withstand the faultline it would be over that would cause the rig to move in all directions
    without disasterous consequences.
    if someone can find the link to this on line please post it .
    thanks

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i saw the episode you're talking about, DRC....made me weak-kneed just watching it:crazy:

i love that show - some really enormous and staggering projects

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky