Anyone want to go? - Wanting to get some skipjacks in Ohio?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Bigones, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Howdy brothers, was just sitting here thinking about this upcoming season and wanted to get some skipjacks. They are way to expensive to buy and was thinking about going to kuntucky or tenn and catching a cooler or two full. I don't know where to go and would like some company. Anyone know where to go to catch them and want to come along just let me know and we will go. Or if you know somewhere else to get them we can go there.

2. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i'm not eaxctly where but i'll go

3. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    i am going to be going down to the south west end of Kentucky in a couple of weeks to work and that is what i would like to do to is find some big skippys to bring home

4. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Dellis, where in ohio are you located? I live in the dayton area. I am not sure where to go either. I hear they have them pretty thick at kentucky lake bute don't know for sure. I don't know if they are biting neather. I hear if you can find a steam plant they are there all year long.

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bigones

I am not sure you seen this or not but in the Gathering section under Uncle Sci-Fi Breakfast get together, that is what we are doing we are all meeting at Kentucky lake for Breakfast and then heading out to catch skipjack so we can take home for bait and freeze up for this spring and summer fishing when bait is hard to find. We do this get together about three times a year, go to this thread and take a look. Its on April 8th , 2006

Click Here for skipjack fishing Kentucky Dam

6. Memphis

Memphis New Member

State:
    Ohio
    gimme a call sometime eric!!:p

7. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sweet thanks Deerhunter count me in That would be great. I have a boat but can I use it there? It is only regestered here in Ohio.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If your in the louisville area send me a pm, I know where a discharge is but not to great on catching skippies. Couldnt be too hard though with all the info on here.

9. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    hey bigones near the gmr in hamilton near columbia bowling lanes

10. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cool dan not far at all sent you a message

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Eric,

How many could each person expect to bring back?

12. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bryan: I have been there and have brought home between me and Ryan over 250 before and that was three coolers full. Most of the Skip jack here are around 16 to 23 inches long and anywhere from a pound to two pounds each, I would suggest you get 2 gallon zip lock bags or if you have a vacuum sealer system then you could bring it and do them in, I get a bag of ice for each cooler and put it in them and fish until we fill one cooler full then we start on the next one.

Also you may want to think about bringing a cooler just for shad, we have got over 200 pounds of shad some times in less the 30 Minutes there. If the water temp starts coming up which it is its running just about 57* at Kentucky Lake right now, So the skips will start running up stream to the dams. I know the other night I talked to a guy who was there fishing he got about 50 in a hour or so by himself but as April gets here they will be running full tilt up to the dams.

I have also been there in Jan/ Feb and only got 10-20 skips but never had much problem in the spring of the year. Unless something major happens and the water goes over its banks then it would make it tough to get..lol

You need to bring several Jigs with you white and pink jigs and bring some lite green ones too. bring some with the feathers on the tail of them too.

13. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    D.H, J.W. needs some Pink one,s:) I think.

BIGCAT GarryEads

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i wouldnt mind "truck pooling" to get a bunch if its just a day trip. we could all share the cost of gas. i assume fronts, moon periods affect skip fishing as well?

15. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Hey you all I just moved from clarksville tnn and there is a steam plant at Cumberland city Tnn.I used to catch lots of skippies there and some as large as you would like them.I didn weigh one that I caught but I do believe it would have gone to 3#.You dont need a boat .Just fish off the bank. I-71 to I-65.exit 20 follow natcher pkwy exit 5.Take 68-80 [about 20 miles]to st rt 79.follow st rt 79 to clarksville tnn and almost any one can tell you from there.
    GOOD FISHING

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I already have some thank you, LMAO!!! I will give you some if I make it LOL!!!

17. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    catfishbill33

Your about a month late buddy, we have been there about three times with several members from the board.

Plus we had a gathering at the steam plant about a month ago. there is a bunch of us that come down there all the time.

18. stinkybill

stinkybill New Member

State:
    ok & ky
    what parts of ky you thankiing about trying?

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    DH is talking about Ky and Barley dams for skips on the 8th of april. We are having a meeting at the pelican restraunt that morning and a skipjack fishin trip imediatley afterwards.

20. Skipjack73

Skipjack73 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey fellas. I'm from Franklin OH, but take a trip to Ky Lake every spring.Last year we tore the Skipjack up below the dam. My two brothers and I got around 150 all between 12 and 20 inches in about an hour and a half.It was amazing. We had a blast.Not sure how long the bite last like that,think we just got lucky and hit it perfect. Frank