Anyone using Penn Squidder or Jigmaster?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by wneubauer, Mar 9, 2008.

1. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I'm thinking of picking up one of each of these reels. Anyone using these for bank or boat fishing, or can anyone let me know what they think about either of these reels for catfish? I understand these are great casting reels.

Thanks, all!

2. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've used a Monofil 25 for years, it's about like the jigmaster. You have to get used to thumb spooling the line but they cast and crank dandy. These are used a lot on the charter boats in saltwater.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have two squidders that are nearly 40 years old, and they still work just fine. I caught plenty of bull reds, amberjack, sharks, cobia, and one tarpon as big as me on them. They'll handle any cat that swims in North America.:big_smile:

Penn no longer makes the Squidder, although you may be able to find one on dealer shelves, somewhere, or Ebay.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use a Jigmaster from the bank and in the boat. It cast well if you learn to thumb it

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I still have a couple Squidders and learned to cast with them years ago. They will handle catfishing with no problem. They are very nice casters but you need an educated thumb to control the rotation on the spool when casting. I have been using 6500 and 7000 Abu's for the last few years only because the retrieve ratio on the Squidders are very low and I bank fish in heavy current with plenty of bottom debris and need to get the line in as fast a possible. Good luck.

6. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    Both are dandy reels. My Squidders are all Juniors (146) narrower spool than the 140's. You can still find them on E-Bay once in a while. I have one with a full Accurate conversion which is my favorite. Neither have a level wind so casting is "a little" different that casting with and ABU. As stated in a previous post, the retrieve is a little slower than with other reels. Both are workhorses and you should be happy with them.

I have a newer Jigmaster but I prefer the older models. Squidders haven't been made for awhile so any on E-Bay should be the oldie but goodie reels.

7. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I own both a 500 & 140 needless to say they both are very great for catfishing. I have extra spools with mono for when I fish in rocks very versatile reels.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a Jigmaster 500 that I bought in January of 1966, and have used ever since. The only work I've ever had done on it was to have the clicker replaced. It's an excellent reel for the price. I mostly use mine as a backup reel now. If you're willing to spend half again to twice as much, I'd recommend going with the Penn 320GTi, or 320GT2 that replaced it. I picked one up on ebay for $45.00 plus shipping.

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have both reels that I use occasionally for surf fishing or jigging blues. The squidder with the plastic spool that had the wind brakes is a very good casting reel. A lot of guys have magged the squidder with the aluminum spool using multiple magnets based on Lenz Law. The Penn 500 was not intended to be a casting reel unless you can mag it or find the plastic spool. The 500 is a bit heavy to cast with and only has bushing instead of the bearings that are found in the squidder.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive used jigmasters for years only on the salt though. Very good reel and easy to maintain. You can change the drag washers in like 5 minutes on them.

11. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I have a squidder and a jigmaster. They are more reel then I am a fisherman. I have been fishing with casting reels since I was a kid (1950's) and don't generally have to much trouble casting them or creating a nesting place for for the birds.

Oh Boy, can I create some great over runs with those Penn reels (LOL). When you let go of that spool it really takes off. I don't see much difference in the way they cast. Very smooth and those big spools do get up to some high RPM's. Like the others have said, it takes practice to educate the thumb to control the spool speed. I use 30 pound mono on them and they handle it just fine.

My main problem is getting used to guiding the line with my thumb when I reel in. For some reason I just don't remember to do it which does lead to some problems. I am going to keep working on it because I do like those reels and want to use them.

I feel the Penn Squidder and Jigmaster are amazingly simple in design, have fewer parts than most reels and are about as tough as any. Replacement parts are a bit pricey but then you don't need to replace many.

12. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I've actually found it refreshing to be able to find parts available, and these reels are such an elegant design, it's really neat to take them apart and make them work better than when you got them...

Thanks to all who responded... now to find a squidder at a reasonable price... I did get a jigmaster already..