Anyone using 2-sonars

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by onlyriverfish, Sep 2, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Have done some searching re using 2-sonar units on this site but not much found. I gather that as long as they are using different freq. then it will work(?).

I thought for some time about getting a sidefinder, but wasnt willing to spend/use the 1000.00plus units that had them.

Comes down to what do I want to accomplish with the 2-units. What I want to do is graph a larger area so I can more quickly understand the structure below w/o having to pass many times over it as now-and still not feeling 100% sure about the current break (or missing the whole picture). I am graphing 10-30ft and the 1-lowrance covers a small cone area.

Wondering if a cheaper wider angle, maybe shoot thru hull would work. Anyone tried this?

thanks.
    James

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have two but don't use them both at the same time.

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I'm running a Lowrance 111C Hd unit and a Humminbird Matrix 67 on the back of my boat.

The Lowrance is 200, the Bird is 200/50 but I don't fish deep enough water to use the 50 so I keep it on 200 all the time.

Have no issues with interference at all with the two units, got the back of the boat covered and both do a great job. The Lowrance over shadows the Humminbird with it's large screen but I trust what the Humminbird tells me as much as the Lowrance.

Doc

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have a flsher in my hual and it seems to work well. I also have a Bottom line finder and have no problem with both turned on.
    Bill

5. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Hi Tim,
    I take it then that as long as the xducers are different freq. (lowrance192Khz and Hbird 200Khz) they work together. So you put them beside each other? Did you ever consider thru hull up at front? What do you find using them-whats your take on having two? Are you better interpeting the structure below-how has using two helped?

Im wondering if one at front (thru hull) might provide better "historical" view and just help verify what I think I see(?).
    Thanks!

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    James,

Well you can tell I was up way to early this morning when I posted, the Lowrance is a 200 khz. transducer with a 12 degree cone angle, the Humminbird is a dual beam transducer 200 khz and 83 khz. with a 20 degree and 60 degree cone angles. I very seldom use the 83 khz. as I don't fish deep enough water.

My boat is 84 inches acroos the back on the bottom, the transducers are located 24 inches from the edge and are about 34 inches away from each other centerline, both are located about 17 inches from the centerline of the boat and are located between a set of ribs.

I have had no problems with the units cross talking with each other, when I am on the river I run a Zig Zag pattern so that I get a overall better picture of the bottom that I am scanning, both units will mark about the same structure but the Lowrance is higher detail than the Humminbird which is a major learning curve for me to deal with, the sceen is twice the size of the Humminbird so I reference to the Humminbird a lot because it is monochrome and greyscale the Lowrance is color.

Because my boat is aluminuim I don't run thru hull units.

I like the two units because I can use them to verify each other, plus having the color unit to deal with the Humminbird teaches me what the color unit is seeing because I'm used to the monochrome screen and the higher detail on the Lowrance is just tough for me to interpet, but the high detail really shows you a lot more than I would have ever imagined.

I spent a lot of time talking to Doc Samson who is a walleye pro about the color units and running twin sonars, he is looking for 17-24 inch fish where I'm looking for 3-4 footers, details for him are far more critical than they are for me because he is looking for smaller fish, but his knowledge of electronics is just awesome, I'm still in pre-school on the color units compared to him because he retired as an MD to make a living catching fish, he likes the twin sonar because it will give you more coverage of the bottom, and you can verify each other.

Last week I marked a Blue that was holding near a boulder on the Ohio river with the Lowrance and confirmed it with the Humminbird, if the Humminbird hadn't been on board I would have passed that fish up because it didn't look right on the Lowrance again I have a major learning curve to work thru with the Lowrance.

Doc

7. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Very cool Tim,
    thanks.
    I think I will try two also and mount them the same way as I do zig zag too. I just have to research the wider angle xducer bit more though as still think it would add that broad coverage!

I may have to adjust my lowrance as I have been running it at the chine. Cant get full speed detail yet.

My prediction is that the big blue cats future population will suffer due to electronics being able to graph large areas and effectivly lay out a 3-D view of bottom terrain while marking fish accuratly! Think the sonar will play a large part in blues decimation of 100lbers and big ones in our own lifetime will be 40-50lbs.:angry:

Add to it that we humans being their only predator are getting more interested in them and thus wiser to em. Unfortunatly Im betting the laws will be too far behind to save em.

8. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    well, I guess it is up to us humans to be ahead of the law and save the blues. There is no reason to kill every big blue caught just because the law says you can. You will see several times every week someone on this board releasing a 50+ blue back into the water. As sportsmen and conservationists we should practice the the maximum extent CPR (Catch, Photograph and Release) thus preserving our fisheries.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tim, that's interesting reading, friend. I have the 107c df and it has the 200 mhz/12 degree (and 50mhz/35 degree which I don't use) transducer, so I've been curious to see how others with a similar unit liked it. The old eagle I had used a 20 degree, as do most 200 khz. There is a little more detail, but the coverage area is smaller. I've considered adding the eagle back on the boat, just for the reasons that you use two units.
    And James, I truly don't think the electronics will harm the fish population in the foreseeable future. LOL Most people don't understand how to use the sonar as well as they could, anyway. IMHO I mark many, many more fish than I ever put in the boat. :tounge_out:

10. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Tommy,

When I bought my Lowrance I decided not to go with the dual freq. transducer mainly because over the years I had destroyed a couple of them traveling on the river during high debris and at $165.00 a transducer I felt that the cost for replacement may be a tad overwhelming, the single freq. is just around $70.00 Doc Samson had told me if I wasn't fishing in waters 100 foot or deeper I was throwing money away.

Lynn got the Humminbird from the factory as a gift for catching her 88# Blue during a US cats tournament, it came with the dual freq. transducer but it is small compared to the Lowrance duals........Doc

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That dual freq. xmtr is pretty large, compared to the single. I don't really need the 50mhz anyway. Lowrance doesn't list any other transducer as an option, but I was thinking of contacting their tech support and see if I could use one made for say, the x102c. Their is a difference in power, but other than that, they are very similar. I like the detail of the 12 deg cone, but I think I would prefer the old 20 degree if I can get one to work with my unit. Those narrow cones are designed for deeper water and more detail, but I would like to try the wider cone angle and see how it compares.

12. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    My LMS 350-A had a twenty degree cone and I have on my website the area of coverage for the 20 degree cone, looks like I'm going to have to develop one for the 12 degree cone so I know just how much coverage area under the boat I'm looking at.............Doc

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tim, don't hold me to it, but I read somewhere that a 12 deg cone would be 1/5 of the depth. If in 30' of water the cone would cover approx. 6', and I actually plotted that out on a cad program, and that number seems to be a good one. Of course you can actually read more than 12 deg, but that is significantly less than a 20 deg. The tradeoff is more detail and the ability to pick out smaller objects, especially in deeper water.
    I'm not complaining about the smaller cone angle; it just takes some adjustment on my part.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I just read back over my last post. Sounds pretty technical in a sense. As I said before, I'm no expert, but I'm trying to learn all I can about sonar to suit my needs. The subject of cone angle may be one to expand on, for anyone interested. This is another excerpt from a lowrance tutorial pertaining to cone angles:

15. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Tommy,
    Thanks for putting that up there! I read that the other day,but the part about the sensitivity to cone angle size is definitly worth repeating (several times)!

Basically saying go ahead and pepper the screen more for us guys looking for bottom feeders as we cover more area, but we will loose some detail of baitfish (or water column clarity) by adding screen clutter. There are times that it may be the smart thing to do.
    Im figuring that to run two unit they must be different brands so freq. wont conflict unless Lowrance unit you refer to is different freq.(?).

What about those Hummingbird 3-D units? Do they average out the point details too much?

They are pretty pricey too, but this is for very impotant stuff. Ha HA

16. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
  17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That is a good link, James. I don't think I had seen that article before, although I have seen much of the same info.
    I don't have any experience with the humminbird sidefinders. To me, the screen is like looking at an old blueprint, but I know it's because I'm not used to using one.
    Here's what lowrance says about using two sonars:

18. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Just mounted a hummingbird 640x320 3D last night that has 6 xducers 482khz(?) and will use next to Lowrance x125.
    Plan to try tonight.

19. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I Use 2 Fishfinders On My Boat And Have Never Had Any Problems.good Luck With Yours

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Have 2 on my boat. Lowrance 332c at console and 125 on trolling motor. Like to be able to look at map and sonar at the same time on full screen.