Anyone used the Roddy Gator Tail Rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by john catfish young, Dec 6, 2007.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just puchased A Roddy Gator Tail Rod By Penn. It is Heavy action...e-glass.I topped it with a 309 level wind and 30 lb. line...(big game) It seems to be a good one. Does anyone have any information on this rod?

2. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Here's what I wrote on another forum comparing it to an Ugly Stik Tiger:

I guess I can comment on both since I have two Gator Rods and four US Tigers. If you need a good rod and are only concerned about money then a Gator is a great choice. If you are lucky enough to find some (rare to find a dealer) you can pick them up for about $35, which is pretty good for what you get in a nice stout rod. I'm not a fan of the guides but they have proven to be better than I first thought. On the other hand you can go out and buy a US Tiger for about $55. IMO the Fuji reel seat is of better quality and so are the all stainless steel double reinforced guides. The rod wraps are also a nice touch. I get a little better distance casting with the Tiger than the Gator and they are almost exactly the same stiffness.

I was told the gators are not blank-through handles but I cannot verify that. What I can tell you is they are good enough to handle 50lb cats and 25lb Spanish Mackerel. I haven't caught anything bigger yet on one of these rods.

If the gators were more readily available I would probably by more but I can tell you that I have had the Tigers much longer with no problems and I do have more confidence in them for that reason.

On another note I did use my Gator rod while alligator hunting in south Alabama. It held up well during the 1 hour fight dragging around our 21' CC boat. -No complaints from me.

Attached Files:

3. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Allen
    For your imput on the rods. We have a dealer that sales the roddy gator tail rods. Kens bait and tackle shop next to the Pelican restuarant. I think they are about $35. I bought a penn 309 level wind there also and some big game 30#. They knocked an additional $5 off the rod since I bought a reel too. They also service the products they sale, that is a plus. I haven't found the Tiger rods yet. When I do I want one of them too. I've heard good things about them too.

4. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah man, I own two of them... I'ved caught nice sized fish on both of them... I think I paid like 25 buck for each... looks jus like the Ugly Stik Tiger rods

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    jhon young if you look at ken bait shop he has the tiger rods there to as for the gator tails the only thing i see that is differnt from them to the tiger is the blank does not run throw the handle but i have had good luck with them

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I bought some from Ken several years back and have not had any problems. On some of the gators the eyes have the inserts but I have seen them with ss eyes as well. Either way they are excellent catfish poles.

7. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Yes, The one I have has the SS eyes on it. Can't wait to hang into a BIG Flathead on it.

:cool2:

8. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    after doing a little research on these two rods its my understanding that they are the same rod blanks. that would explain why they feel pretty much the same. i do agree with the above posts about the eyes. I just bought one from kens as well when we were at the sci fi gathereing and that was the first place i have found them. i will be interested to see if the eyes pop out. ill be buying a tiger rod here shortly and fishing them side by side to see how they compare.