Anyone used the Abu 5600 C4

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by river_rat_42, Mar 12, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bought this Ambassedeur off of my buddy, who was usin it as a back-up bass reel. It's an Abu 5600 C4. It's about the size of a 5500 C3, but with a different gear ratio and a different braking system control, maybe a few other differences as well. But its in awesome shape, hardly used, an older model... maybe between a 94'-99' or somethin' around there (maybe newer). But, the point of the post is... I went out and bought a rod for it today (7ft. Med/Hvy. Ugly Stik Catfish), and I was wonderin' wether or not the reel will hold up in harsh river conditions, castin' 3oz. weights, reelin' in big river cats, and all that other good stuff that comes along with catfishin' the river. I personally think (since it is an Abu Garcia and all) that it will handle all of that, but I don't know everything. So, do you guys think that this reel will work for what I am doing with it. And/Or do any of you use this model of reel? -Any opinions will be AWESOME!!! Thanks Fellas!!!

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't think I'd use more than two ounces, but the reel will hold up like any other abu. The main difference between it and the 5500, is the thumb bar release instead of the pushbutton.

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I landed a new state record flatty with that real last year..
    * Very tough reel.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've got one I use primarily for catfishing. Its a great reel and holds up under the abuse I put it through. Kayak fishing is not easy on a reel, they tend to get wet a lot. The main differences between it and the 5500C3 are the number of bearings, the retrieve ration, and the center thumb bar.