The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning , has anybody every used slices of liver ???? I don't mean chicken livers, but liver that u would cook in a frying pan... also, does anybody use chicken livers in finger gauze ????

·
Registered
796 Posts
good morning , has anybody every used slices of liver ???? I don't mean chicken livers, but liver that u would cook in a frying pan... also, does anybody use chicken livers in finger gauze ????
All of the above....beef, deer, chicken....and gauze. It will all catch cats, but, cut bait is still my preference.

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
Hi Andrew, Welcome to Your new thread. It is better here fr getting you results and for others searching for this topic.

This is your first time back in a good while so welcome back.

I have used Surgilast tube finger gauze to keep liver on a bait keeper hook and it work very well, can be reloaded throughout the night and isn't really expensive.

Lastly, I need you to update your profile page by adding your State of residence where it is required. It helps others answer questions when they have an idea of what waters you fish.

tight lines

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
I will post more on what I have used here in a minute. Little busy right now.

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
Andrew, sorry for the delay. Anyway, Add that State or tell me and I will add it.

I have used finger gauze to hold chicken liver and it works very well on a bait keeper hook.

Here is the gauze I got.

25 yards was about $10 but that will last a long time. You use less than 2 inches each time and a gauge can be reloaded more than once. Amazon carries this product. Be careful about ordering the correct size. Gauz

e for a leg wouldn't work too well.

Cut the short length gather one end and put it on the hook. Open the other end and load the liver. This the free end and put it over the barb. An added advantage is you can use the gauze to soak up the blood and juices so they are not wasted. Great scent in the water.

IMG_2132.JPG
fullsizeoutput_62f.jpeg
IMG_2135.JPG

tight lines

·
Registered
302 Posts
I got some tube gauze to try and think it would work well. But got the wrong size, way to big. What I found in a fishing shop is Atlas-Mikes spawn net. 3"x16' roll was $3.69 and ya cut it into 3" squares to use. Have tried it and it seem's to work well with chicken liver. Say's on the back, 2 different size rolls and precut squares.

The liver I use these days is chicken liver. Years ago I used beef liver for bullheads and it worked great. Nice thing aabout it was you could catch several fish on one bait! Back then yu could buy the whole liver in the store, haven't been able to find it that way these days. Instead they sell calf liver. Tried it and couldn't keep it on the hook, to soft, probably work in a spawn bag. But if you can find a beef liver, I'd sure get it. I used it fresh and it was great for bullheads. As I said, put on a bait and catch several fish with it and no net required.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I seldom target channels but when I do I have had good success with chicken liver and finger gauze, I use the same brand as Tom and I think I ordered if from Amazon. It is cheap and works better than anything else I have tried for keeping liver on the hook.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,085 Posts
If you don't use gloves or a gripper.
That gauze might also come in handy when a catfish bites your fingers and rolls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have used several different types of liver. Best was deer, 2nd best is pork liver. Chicken livers, I sprinkle brown sugar on them about an hour before I start fishing. Toughens up the liver so it stays on the hook without netting. One of the best baits I have used is chicken tails ( buy leg quarters to smoke and debone for gumbo) I cut off the tails from the packaged leg quarters. I have caught many a 5 lb cat on these.

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
Welcome to the USCA forum

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have used several different types of liver. Best was deer, 2nd best is pork liver. Chicken livers, I sprinkle brown sugar on them about an hour before I start fishing. Toughens up the liver so it stays on the hook without netting. One of the best baits I have used is chicken tails ( buy leg quarters to smoke and debone for gumbo) I cut off the tails from the packaged leg quarters. I have caught many a 5 lb cat on these.
Well I'm gonna have to try that brown sugar. Don't like fooling with the net sacks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts