anyone used gorilla tough line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by josh33, Oct 14, 2005.

1. josh33

josh33 New Member

State:
    OGLESBY, JUST BY 30 FOOT
    i was looking at a magazine and i found some line called gorilla tough line. This is a braided line that really looked worth trying. has anyone used this line? if so what are some pluses and minuses you found while using it. I am somewhat scepticle of this line mostly becouse i rarely see it for sale. any info would be great.!

2. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Gorilla is a Berkley Fishing product and weather its a good line or not would depend on what your wanting to use it for.

Gorilla is a great braid but its not as thin as the pure Dyneema or Spectra braids. If you have older or "economy" guides on your rod it will cut them over time, its a very abrasive line. Berkley even boasts about it "It cuts thru weeds and vegetation...". You can usually find it at Wallyworld but it's almost half price if you order it on line.

If I were to use this braid, I would use it on a larger reel (like an Ambassadeur 6500 and larger or a Penn Squidder and the such) as my main line and then attatch a mono or fluro leader by means of a swivel. But that's the way I would rig any braid.

It would make a great economy line for snag infested waters where you want to jerk that cat in a straigh line to the boat or bank. For the most part its a matter of prefrence.... for the money its a great line. I perfer power pro or P-Line Spectra if I were to use braids but you wont get either of those for the cost of Gorilla.

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I've been using gorilla braid for about 3 years now.I spooled one 209 with it to try it and I use 50 lb mono leaders.I've had the mono learders on hang ups ect. but I never had the gorilla braid break so now I have 3 reels spooled with it.

4. josh33

josh33 New Member

State:
    OGLESBY, JUST BY 30 FOOT
    Bad karma
    Have u had any problems with the ilne cuting your guide? I ask because it advritises about how it will cut through weeds and other small snages to help avoid hang ups and snags

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Josh I haven't had any Gorilla braid do any guide cutting on my rigs.This ain't bass fishing where you are casting and reeling in all day so it won't cut guides as bad.I have Penn 209s and 309 and 180 Master reels and I only have one reel as small as an abu 6500 and it's a Shakespeare 2000 and I have it spooled with 50 lb Spiderline braid that is the same dia.as the 50lb Gorilla braid.I tie a 2/0 swivel on the braid and I've been using 50lb mono leaders but I've just started using 80 lb hook leaders for the hooks with sinkers tied on with 10lb mono so if it hangs up I get the hook back.Gorilla braid may not be the highest price line but it works for me and at less than $20.00 a 1/4 lb spool I'll take it every time..

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use 80# gorilla braid but I only use it for a leader, I use 25 and 30# big game for my main line, then a no roll sinker, a bead and a 2 way swivel. 18" of gorilla braid and a gamakatsu 7/0 octopus hook. I just caught a 52# blue last night with that set up and it worked just fine. It would be way to expensive for me to line up 6 shimano baitrunners with that stuff.

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    For what it's worth,
    It's not casting and retrieveing alone that causes braids to cut guides. It's a factor of friction between the guide material and the line. More friction, like season after season of big heavy cats, OR, like constant dragging a large crank bait through the water... the faster the ware. It has nothing to do with "bass fishing" :rolleyes: .
    Also, I said if you have cheap guides or older guides like the Alum Oxide ones. Guides made from Alconite or Silicon Carbide (fuji SiC) are quite resistant (although not impervious). Gorilla is still more abrasive than most common braids however...

I know it's just nit-picking but #50lb Gorilla is stated as #14 equivelent and Spiderline's #50lb braid is stated (by Spiderline) as #10 equivelent. With out tossing out thousandths of an inch figures, it goes with out saying they are not the same diameter. You have no real idea of actual diameter because most braids aren't actually round.

Sten Super Braid and Power Pro are the two most round braids available today, and even then they still arent as true as mono.

8. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    You didnt mention where or what you fish or reel used.
    The gorilla is a good line. It has an excellent purpose for big fish in tough enviroments prone to line dragging over rocks, snags and such. I would not say its the best I ever used as there are many out there, but definitly works very good for me.

The new superbraids like PPro just dont work for me so far (tried 80lb too thin). I like larger diameter for the way it acts on spool, riggin and more.

Ask 100 people and get 100 different answers. Buy some, you may love it or hate it either way didnt cost much.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    That pretty much covers it Sten Super Braid and Power Pro are smooth like mono. gorilla is far from it, reeling a fish in with it reminds me of dragging a heavy log chain into the back of my truck over the tailgate

10. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i had used the gorilla braid years ago because it was cheaper than spiderwire, and because i like experimenting with new stuff. back when i tried it i found that it seemed to fray and break off quite often. this was when i fished bass exclusively. but this was between 5-10 years a go i think. maybe they have a better product now, i might have to give it another go on a spinning reel. for the record, i've never had a braid cut a guide on my rod. yes, just because a braid sais it will cut through weeds and what not, doesn't mean it will cut your guides. it will cut weeds because of the increased tension you can put on the line...the smaller diameter also helps. this is also the reason why it cuts your hands a lot easier than mono. although i've cut my hands with both and now find a near by tree branch to wrap the line around if want to do any pulling on the line by hand. but anyway, i might have to give gorilla braid another shot.