Anyone use treble hooks on limb lines

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Joe Car, May 3, 2007.

1. Joe Car

Joe Car New Member

State:
    Mo.
    Hello BOC, what's going on in your world. Well in mine here in South East Mo. Approx, 50 miles south of St. Louis. It's raining, someone needs to turn off the sprinkler. Weather man says it won't stop until Sunday sometime. However it is one of those slow rains. With the right clothing you can stay somewhat dry.
    I wen't out this after noon to a small lake I like to Fish for them Channels. I put out a limb line. I loaded it up with normal catfish hooks for trot lines. I baited it up entirely with shrimp. As soon as I tied it to a limb you would not believe what happened. I noticed the line tighten up and the limb started to pull. It was a fish that had allready got on the line. I wanted so bad to pull it in but I didn't. I spent an hour putting that thing in the water. Shrimp always takes longer to bait and toss out. You have to remove the heads. Hopefully by tommorow I will have a mess of fish on the line.
    This time I didn't use treble hooks. I used regular hooks. Anyone ever had trouble with fish dieing on a limb line that treble hooks were used on. I wouldn't think this time a year a fish would die as long as you checked your line within 24 hrs. But last time I had a nice eater size fish die after it swallowed a treble hook. anyone have this kind of problem.

Joe

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Treble hooks can be a pain when using them on limbline or trot line. If fish swallow them they usually do die faster. If you know you have one on your line i would go ahead and take it off. I wouldn't wait because you risk losing it or dying on you.

3. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have never used treble hooks on a limb or trot line. I always use live bait to. Jmo but i could see why they would die those treble hooks are some wicked hooks.

4. jacob

jacob New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    persanally i get more luck with trebel hooks.since the fish dont have anything to set the hook for them so they sometimes snag your bait eaiser,so with trebels it seems togive me a bettor chance

5. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    When I first started running lines I used treble hooks on my stump sets.Every fish I caught swallowed the hook and died.I use J hooks on all my lines now.I bait my lines in the evening and run them early in the morning.I haven't had any dead fish on my lines since I started using J hooks exept for the occasional gar.I have been thinking about going to all circle hooks on my limblines.

6. jacob

jacob New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have ben using circle hooks lately and theyr working great