anyone use threadfin shad as bait (on the all american canal)?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by dhines, Jul 22, 2009.

1. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    seems like that is the natural baitfish on the canal, so i am wondering why more folks don't use it instead of bluegill, etc.

for the folks that do use it, where do you catch it?

2. ivcat

ivcat New Member

State:
    Brawley/Ocean Beach
    ive used them in highline for bass and channels soo they should work fine in the all american.. They really work well for bass..i get 10-15 bass in a couple hours everytime with them. I think they are a lil too small for flatties. I throw a minnow trap with some bread in dirt laterals a mile down from the highline and get plenty in a few minutes..

3. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    outstanding, thanks.

btw, how big are the ones you are catching? i heard they can grow to 5 - 7 inches. additionally, how do you rig them?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    doug, try like we have done here in yuma and the highland. use a balloon filled just enough to float, and get in truck and drive the canal as it floats down. caught many a fish that way.
    i'd also suggest either through the eyes, in mouth and out roof of mouth. just put hook far enough back in mouth it will stay and that way fish will always be pointing upstream and won't drown itself. can use with weights that way.
    don't know how ivcat does it though. am waiting to hear.
    gary

5. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    sounds like jugging . . . is that legal in CA?

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    jugging is not. but long as you have control of the pole, it's legal. nothing says you can't sit in truck and slowly drive down canals. it's not road hunting like for deer.
    gary

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Gary I heard of people doing that before. Correct its not against the law.. Some people also do that walking up and down the canal. In this day and heat, I would prefer driving while the AC is blowing in my face than walking.

B

8. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I have used the walking techniqe at the coachella.As well as the ca. aquaduct.Using crawlers or cutbait,ok on eater channels and small stripers.Tried walking live gills before with no love to show for my efforts.
    On the all american,I have seen fish(bass/stripers?) boiling on small baitfish pretty activley in the early morning and evenings,I bet some live shad would get some results.I was kicking myself in the but that I dident bring any topwater plugs as I watched these fish run bait 200 yards down the canal....Next time.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  9. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    ahh, i missed the point about being connected to the baloon. that is a great idea

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    sorry doug, should of said use balloon like a bobber on your line.
    gary