Anyone use this catfishing rig?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, Mar 17, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I saw this in the new In-Fisherman, and they were using a rig similar to this for crappie fishing, they would suspend it off of the bottom and troll crankbaits with it. It should work well for a bank-fisher like myself, I think because it will suspend the bait at 2 different levels.

TA2D

Aaron

Attached Files:

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Yep, when I'm fishin' with shad that is how we like to rig up. We use a bank sinker, and instead of beads we use snelled hooks and tye the sinker on first and then loop the line through the snell and drop the sinker through the loop a couple of times, then move down the line about a foot and use another snelled hook the same way.

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Yep, used that rig for King Salmon in the river up north, only I used small stainless steel trebles. Would put a spawn bag and two minature marshmallows on each treble.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I use a rig almost like that fishing in salt water, but what I do is on leader line of the top hook I put a small cork so that I can adjust how far off the bottom I keep my bait. This way you can try different depths with the same rig.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use that rig for drifting for several different species of fish.

6. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Basically a Sibaki rig with tri-swivels and leaders. Personally I think the Sibaki would be less hassle and give you more bait action.

7. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I use a similar setup when I'm snagging for shad.

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yep when i fish the dam there are alot of hang ups down there and with that set up most of the time your sinker will skip over a few rocks. i don't use the 2 hook idea i always use a 3 way swivel and tie about a 3 or 4 foot leader on one side and a 1 foot tag line for the sinker.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have use a three way rig, but not one with two hooks.

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    thats just a basic top and bottom rig that you'll see in 90% of surf caster's bag of tricks... I use it sometimes when fishing for bullheads, cause they'll get aggressive and start fighting over the baits so you can hook 2 at once...

They are also called crappie rigs but those are made w/ lighter weight materials and wouldn't hold up to too many catfish...

I've use similar rigs in surfcasting with semi good results... though usually i buy premade rather then doing my own... the only problem is hook storage after use and also the lines tangling when casting...

11. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    This rig is very popular for many types of fish. I also use it for Crappie fishing. I have also used it for striper fishing. ;)

12. andi1950

andi1950 New Member

State:
    Belton, Texas
    Hey joesf,
    I hate to sound dumb, but what the heck is a sibaki rig? :confused: After all the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

jerry

13. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    a sabiki rig is a rig with about 5 small flies that people use to catch mostly shad but also for sunfish and other baitfish.

that rig is used for 90 percent of bottom fishing in saltwater. i simplify it when fishing in curent with only one hook because of snags and i would hate to have 2 big catfish on at once, and i dont have enough of my secret bait to be throwing two out at a time. works well for me. great for locating what depth fish are feeding at.

14. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i use that rig for flats with live bluegill. only i use 1 hook instead of 2, and the leader is farther up the line from the weight (pyramid).

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    To many swivels and lost tackle if you ask me,it just leaves to many weak spots in your line.I say keep it simple.

16. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never used a multi hook rig for anything but skip jack fishing. But i dont see why it wouldnt work.

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    looks like a crappie rig i use em for trout also never tried em for cats im satisfied to use one hook and many rods

18. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    well the easiest way to use it is take out the swivels and not make two droper loops and cut one side of the loop and then you have one long line. works great and also real easy if you make a bunch up over the winter or on a rainy day and then if you ever lose your rig or change sizes for bait or what not all you have to do is add a weight, bait, and tie the main line to it.

19. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    We call it a high low rig around here and mostly use it , bait fishing for cats and stripers or surf fishing!

20. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    well, i've gotta post this time for my tenth time, before I can even see what you're talking about.