Anyone use the Eagle Claw Circles?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by rockbass, Apr 18, 2006.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought a 50 pack of Eagle Claw Circle Sea hooks from Catfish Connection. They are model L2005F - 8/0

I think they look like awesome hooks. I normally use Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks, but also want to try these out this year. They are cheaper. I have landed a 29.5 inch Flattie on these so far. I am wondering if anyone else uses these and what they think of them.

I will continue to use the Gammies, but also want something pretty good to use in the really snaggy waters.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    I bought a pack of Mustad Circles and a pack of Eagle Claw circles last week and when I felt the difference in the point sharpness between the two I decided then that I would not be buying any more Eagle Claw circles. The Mustads won hands down....

3. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Normally I would agree with the eagle claws not being sharp. the last ones I bought weren't very sharp. They have different kinds of circles though. These ones are heavy guage hooks and are also sharp. They are the Lazer Sharp ones.I was skeptical when I ordered them, but I like them now that I got them.

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I personally noticed the gap difference in Gama vs. Eagle Claw. The Eagle Claw hook has a narrower gap. So for circles Gama has my vote!

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use eagle claws circles, havent had any issues with them yet. yeah the gamma's and the mustads may be a touch sharper (and more expensive) but i think their points wear down much faster and are more prone to bending.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm with John on this one. The gap is much wider on the Gama. And the shank is longer. Better for snellin.

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I use 7/0 Eagle Claw circles and have been happy with them. They are thick, strong hooks. If you are worried about sharpness, buy a small sharpener and save a lot of $ over buying Gamakatsu or Daiichi or other brands. I get Eagle Claws at Wal Mart for about $9/50. The others can be over $1 apiece.

8. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use Eagle Claw Circle 6/0 on my jugs and haven't had a problem with them. All the cats I catch, which are anywhere from 1-15 lbs. have had the hook deep in the corner of their mouth. If money isn't an issue however, I opt for the Gammies or Daiichi, because they are sharper and I feel they're all around better hooks. One problem though with EC's, I have had the point break off on a couple hooks I had on a trotline. Can't remember if it was cuz of turtles or just got weak over time. Hope this helps.

9. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    If your on my boat I would share my EC hooks and the file I keep to sharpen them and at the price I can afford to be generous.

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Got EC's and like them very well. If you don't think they are sharp, stick your finger with one, it will sink in pretty good with very little pressure, I hate when that happens. Good on my budget also.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive been trying the circle sea hooks and to be honest i dont like them much.I bought several sizes and all of them were dull and i had some that just wouldnt set good enough in the fishes mouth to keep it hooked on.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I have 7/0 octo circle in both brands and they are identical in gap & size. I immagine the different styles are of different sizes & gaps.

13. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I, too, prefer gammy octopus circles because of the off-set. Have a little more confidence in those. Willing to try anything, though, let us know how they work out.:)

14. torment_hack

torment_hack New Member

State:
    california
    I bought some of the EC circles in 9/0 50pk and yes they arent as sharp...i mostly use them in areas where i know im going to get snagged often...i think i paid like 8 bucks for the pack and thats not even close to what you would spend of on 50 gama's... i just sharpen them a lil bit and they work just fine.

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I got some 10/0 circles that were all dull....very dissapointing..Perhaps they made a bad batch:confused: Sounds like a lot of folks got dull hooks.....I wonder if eagle claw knows this:confused: Perhaps someone who works there will read our posts:cool:

16. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I use the Gamma's and Eagle Claws. The Gamma's are 7/0 and 8/0 both octopus style and regular circles. The Eagle calws are 8/0. I don't have a problem with either one. However, I do improve the Eagle Claw hook just a little (at least in my opinion) by off setting the point from the shank a little. Both hooks are good and I use both on an equally. Ususally have one rod rigged with a Gamma and the other with an Eagle Claw. I just love circle hooks. Heck, we even went to circle hooks on our bank lines.

17. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just want to clairfy, I am asking about the eagle claw model L2005F hooks only. Not the other kinds they make. I knwo mine are pretty sharp as is. I have had other eagle claws that were not as sharp though. These come in a Lazer Sharp pack.

18. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey arkie,

Does offsettng the hook make that much difference? I will prob do that as soon as I can get to a vise;) those hooks are heavy wire. I have only used mine a couple times now with only one of those times resulting in any hits, which led to me landing a flattie. I will still use both, but I think I now found an alternative........especially when letting others use my hooks;) :p

19. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I too use the eagle claw laser sharp circles when I know I'm in an area prone to snags. All the ones I've got have come plenty sharp.

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I haven’t used the EC L2005’s, but I do use the L2004ELF, L2004ERFH, and L197F’s. The L2004’s are as sharp as any hook I’ve seen, the L197’s often aren’t, and I have also had several of these break off near the point. I’ve basically given up on the L197’s once I use up current stocks, but I will keep using the L2004’s. I use my hands and needle nose pliers to open up / widen the gap just a little on all of these, just like Arkie was saying he does.

The circle hooks I really like are made by Daiichi, but I don’t pull those out until the fish start biting. On a recent trip to the Missouri River, where I got no bites, I snagged up and lost hooks 5 times. That was less than $1.00 in Eagle Claws, while it would have set me back almost $7 for the Daiichi’s.