Anyone use surf rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by mrmarkedwards, Sep 7, 2006.

1. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'm wondering who uses them and where do you live and/or fish?

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, I have a 15' er. It's a lot of fun. I only use it when I'm bank fishing on the Ohio river. You can get to some of the harder to reach channels for some big Flatheads. It's a graphite rod very lite for it's length, but I practically skied a #23'er on top of the water with it. lol After three or four fish it will where you out! lol

3. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    I use them for surf fishing. I take the family to the beach each year for the annual vacation and every morning I'm up early to fish. There's usually more productive areas nearby (an inlet or a pier) but I love to just roll out of be and stroll to the beach and fish as the sun comes up. I'm often back in time to make breakfast for the kids. As I'm just getting into catfishing I am looking forward to breaking out the rods for bank fishing (I have a 14 ft. ugly stick and a 14 ft. south bend...by the way the Ugly stick is a lot better)

4. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Mark;
    Greetings and Welcome Aboard!:smile2:
    Yes, I have a "Small" 10' that I use and I am putting a Shakespeare 15' on my Xmas and/or Birthday list too! :big_smile:
    I've always liked using a longer rod whenever possible for the conditions I am in at the time. They just seem to work better for me or maybe it's just my style, I don't know.
    But I do know that "YOUR NOT ALONE" and don't let anybody browbeat cha for using a longer rod either!!
    Hope this helps ya out some.
    If I can be of further assistance in the days ahead please do not hesitate to contact me. :smile2:
    In fact, if you have not learned this already let me tell you a "little" secret about the BOC and I won't even have to "go out on a limb" with this either because I KNOW I speak for most of the other Brothers and Sisters of the BOC!! :big_smile:
    If you have a question about anything related to Catfishing, or for that matter anything listed on the main page, all you have to do is A-S-K! :big_smile: If nothing else, us BOC Brothers and Sisters are very, shall we say, exuberant, when it comes to helping others out! :big_smile: :lol:
    AND, if you ever have anything to add, or can help someone else out with their questions, then jump right in and "GOFERIT"/"GO FOR IT":lol:
    Hope this helps ya out too.
    Take Care,
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    you have a done deal i was stationed in MO 13 yrs ago and fished for the big 3. since then i've come home and i still catfish. i am a world class distance caster(758ft national record) and i still love cats i've been surf fishing for 11yrs now but i love both. i asked because i make this arguement everytime we gather and i make the arguement with prospective sponsors ,however i lose most of the time verses them due to insufficient data. help me out?

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have spinning only.I have a 8,a 10 and a 14 foot from the time I lived at Tybee island Georgia and fished the surf for Sharks,Rays,etc. and in the winter for Spot Tail Bass,Red Fish or Red Drum as are the different names for the same fish.Also Trout or Weakfish.I don;t see why they would not make a great Cat rod as all of mine are rated for Med.Hvy.action.After all.A Surf Rod is made for casting.peewee-williams

7. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i have a 14' rod i use for fishin below keystone dam help get the bait way out there where it needs to be

8. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I've got two. And yes, I do use them on occasion when I need to get my bait Way out there. I believe they have a place in catfishing. Besides, I need to keep them limbered up so when gas gets back to $ 2.00 a gallon I can make the drive to the coast. Is that wishful thinking ???????

9. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I have 10' M/H Ugly Stik baitcaster with a Abu 7000 cs Rocket reel and 65# PowerPro line that I've been using some this summer. I have it rigged with a 5 oz. sinker because I read somewhere that that's what is used in distance casting competitions. I don't think I throw it any farther than I throw my 7000's on 7 ft. rods with 4 oz. weights. I'm sure my technique is the reason for my lackluster performance. I'm hoping with practice, I can add some significant yardage. Practice! is the key word here. Doug

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Surf rods are great big river or lake rods for fishing from the bank. I believe the record big cat That died this year was caught on a surf rod.

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I see people using them all the around here! We dont have those flatties up here so I dont use em' myself. If yo do have flatties and bank fish then I'd say thats the way to go! Longer rods are GREAT for bank & drift fishing but just cause a rods long doesn't necciserily mean it should be Girthy. I use a 11'1/2" Light action Med. Power rod line weight to #10. so not a real girthy model. Like I said we dont have those flatties so I don't need it! :)

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is one thing all Long Pole Men need - Plenty of room to cast! lol:crazy: :lol: :big_smile:

13. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 12, 14 and 15 ft rods for getting to the far out places from the bank.

14. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I have two Okuma Solaris Surf rods (12') teamed up with CD-90 spinning reels that I couldn't live without. I primarily bankfish tailraces at the moment, and surf rods allow me to get my baits out to, or even past, the last generator. If I'm lucky enough to be fishing on a boat, the surf rods stay at home. :smile2:

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    4- 10 ft Heavy Spin Surf rods is what I use on the Flatties on the Ohio River. I place them into VERY STURDY rod holders. You will never hear me said that I had tons of runs. If they attempt that on me I will have to say I have tons of Flatheads!!!!!!!

:haha:

They cast out a bit more, you can keep them off the bottom a bit better too.

16. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I have 4 , 10,12 and two 13 ft all spinning I use them on the Arkansas river below dams. Nearly all bank fishermen use them here. Mine are all spinning, but the guys with good bait casting reels can out do me by 50 yds or so. If i could learn to use one without backlashes i would try them. boliver

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I use them, and actually just like casting them for fun. I have a 11ft Spinning Ugly Stik, a 10ft Spinning Ugly Stik, a 10ft antique spinning rod, and 2 custom made Hatteras Heaver rods that I absolutely love, one is 11ft and the other 10ft, they are for baitcasters and I can cast them much farther then my spinning ones.

On the 11ft ugly stik I have a cheapo Diawa Reel that I doesn't cast too great, I plan on putting a different reel on it.

On the 10ft ugly stik I have one of those Orignal Penn Spinning reels that are black and gold, I can't think of the official name, but man I love that reel. Very tough and cast good.

My 11ft Custom Baitcaster rod has a Diawa 50shv that is a power horse and can cast a long way, but you will get backlashes easily.

My 10ft Custom Pole has a Ambassaduer 7000TC on it and it's my best casting rig, I can cast 100 yards with it easily.

I used them for when I was Bank Fishing mostly for Catfish, I don't use them in our boat of course. I also use them for Saltwater fishing of all kinds. They really can come in handy, a lot of bank spots I fish require a long cast so I don't know what I'd do without them.

Zakk

18. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    12 and 15 ft here when bank fish a couple of my favorite spots seems with the shorter rods i got hung up too much when reeling in

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ihave four one 11' and three12'i use them when i go to OK.and fish the Ark. rivre

20. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I use a 15' Power Plus Trophy Class spinning rod. During the Spring and early Summer the BIG cats will stack up in the boiles below the lock and dams on the Red River. We use 12-14lb test mono and a 3oz spoon. Some of the guys around here have Do-It molds and pour their own diamond spoons (they throw alot farther that the flat spoons). I have caught 30 pound Blues on 12lb and have seen 50 and 60lbers from the same area. One of the members of the BOC (Gooboy) has a friend who has a couple of line-class world records using the same techniques. I just started using spoons this last Spring and the first trip I caught a 33lber on the fourth cast. I never would have believed that you could catch big cats on artifical baits but I have seen it and done it. The only way to get out there to where the bigguns are is with a good surf rod.