Anyone use Shiners as bait!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by river_rat_42, Apr 3, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I went down to the creek yesterday and I caught a few nice 6 or 7 inch shiners. And I was wonderin' if any of yall use them for baits in the rivers you fish. If so, how do they work and do you have any tips on where, how, or when to use them. Oh, and what types of catfish do you catch when usin' shiners. THANXX FELLAS!

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea I have use shiners for walleye and sometime channels will hit on shiner. I have caught few channels on shiner but it's really NICE SIZE as 8lb.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've had pretty good luck with shiners.Use them live or cut and the cats love them.At least around here they do.

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Personally I havent used shiners that often. But they work just as well as any other bait fish, although they seem to be a bit more fragile and die easier.

The biggest flathead ive ever witness caught was on a crappie minnow using crappie tackle while fishing for...you guessed it crappie. 22 pound flathead bit a 1-1.5 inch shiner.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I used to use shiners when I lived in Florida, and I would catch both catfish and bass on them. Every once in a while a gar.

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They work great dead or alive, they are very hard to keep alive though, they always seem to die on me, so they get cut up

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It really depends upon what neck of the woods your from. Shiners, or minnows, whichever you prefer, are a natural food for predatory fish - and aren't they all predatory? At any rate, my step-father only used shiners and shrimp for channels. When he was stumping around, hardly anyone fished for flats and if it was a cat and had a forked tail, it was a channel. I ventured far from his narrowed vision and started using blood for cats... never will forget the lectures I got for using that s___ for bait. LOL But yes, shiners (minnows) are a good bait. And even better, you can catch your own and not pay that $2.75 per dozen... can't you remember 3 dozen for a dollar. sigh..

8. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What I've experienced from them is that they dont work well early in the year. One of my biggest was caught off a 6 inch shiner. It was in late june. I've tried them a few times so far this year and havent gotten anything, but keep in mind that all waters are different so give em a try.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Shiner Minnows are good bait, I have caught a channel on a shiner minnow. but the cost money lol.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've caught several cats on shiners this spring. Nothing big, but yes, cats will hit shiners as well as they do just about any other bait.