Anyone use redfin pike for bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Guthooked, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I did some creek fishing today and caught some warmouth and redfin pike for bait tonight. I have never used redfin pike for bait but I was wondering if anyone has used it for catching flatheads.

2. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what is a redfin pike?

3. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    REDFIN PICKEREL[​IMG]
    (Esox americanus)

Common Names - Little pickerel, mud pickerel, grass pickerel, banded pickerel, redfinned pike.

Description - Redfin pickerels have 15 to 36 dark, wavy vertical bars and reddish-orange lower fins. Otherwise the coloration is much the same as that of chain pickerels. There is a dark, backward slanting bar below the eye. The snout is shorter and broader than that of a chain pickerel. Normally there are 11 to 13 branchiosstegal rays on the underside of the lower jaw. The cheek and gill covers are completely scaled.

Subspecies - Two are recognized: the redfin pickerel (Esox americanus americanus), and the grass pickerel (Esox americanus vermiculatus). Both subspecies hybridize with chain pickerels in the Florida Panhandle. Most of the redfin pickerels in Florida are intergrades between (Esox americanus americanus) and (Esox americanus vermiculatus). (Esox americanus americanus) occurs in extreme northeast Florida.

Range - They are widely distributed in Florida but diminishes in numbers south of Lake Okeechobee.

Habitat - Usually found in among heavy growths of aquatic plants in sluggish streams, in shallow coves of lakes or in ponds. They prefer water from 75 to 80 degrees. Redfin pickerels may be the dominant predator fish in small creeks.

Spawning Habits - Spawning occurs in the spring in shallow, weedy waters. Eggs are adhesive and are scattered freely among submerged vegetation. They become sexually mature by at least age two. No parental care is given to the eggs or fry.

Feeding Habits - Small fish make up most of their diet, but they also eat aquatic insects and various other invertebrates.

Age and Growth - This species grows much more slowly than other members of the pike family. The maximum age is about eight years, but the usual life span is seven to eight years. There is little difference in growth between males and females, although females live longer. Redfin pickerels rarely exceed 12 inches long.

Sporting Quality - These pickerel are scrappy fighters, but its small size limits their popularity as sport fish. They can be caught on minnows, streamers, small spinners, spoons and plugs. Redfin pickerel are a lot of fun to catch on light spinning tackle.

Eating Quality - White, flaky, sweet-tasting meat, but quite bony.
    World Record - 1.50 pounds, caught in Bluff Lake, South Carolina, in 1984.

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If they are considered sport fish, check your laws on if your allowed to use em.

5. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    Not considered a sport fish.

6. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Never tried redfins. I always try to use a large bream as the # 1 flathead bait. Larger shiners, and bullhead catfish after that. Heck, give them a try and let us know. Good fishin', Jack. (Waycross)

7. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    never heard of anyone usin em for bait

8. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I guess if its legal you could try it out. But I would stick to the normal diet of what the fish eat, this way you will have a better catch rate.