Anyone Use Pyramid Sinkers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Mar 1, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Does anyone use pyramid sinkers and "sinker sliders" when they are bank fishing or anchored up in a boat?

I have normally used egg sinkers or the flat sinkers, but after discovering these "sinkers sliders" while pier fishing at the beach I decided to try them out on cats.

The "sinker slider" is basically a tiny tube with a snap that the weight attaches to. The main line is threaded through the tube and tied to a swivel, then you add your leader and hook. The slide allows your line to move so that you can detect a bite without the fish having to pick the weight up off the bottom.

I decided to try them out and they helped me land a 12 and 9 pound Blue while fishing from an anchored boat. The pyramid sinkers really dig in and you don't have to worry about them moving a lot.

Would love to hear the pro's and con's.

2. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    I like to use them on a 3-way rig. They hold great in the river and big lively baits can`t move them either.Don`t know how big of ones they make.But i like the 5 or 6 oz ones.These are the biggest i can find around here.

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I've used them on three ways and slip rigs and when the river is really up and crankin, they hold real well, the only problem i have with them is they like to get hung in the net after we get a fish on board where the other type sinkers will just slip on thru, those points just seem to catch on everything.........Doc

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    YEP!! Will Be
    I used to use Bell sinkers. But they move way to much in current.
    I purchases a bunch of Pyramid, flat and bank sinkers, to use along with the swivel slide you were describing.
    Cant wait to see the difference.
    thanks for sharing.

5. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I use pyramid sinkers almost exclusively for slip bottom fishing. Please note that these are the 3 sided pyramids (3 sides and a top) not the 4 sided. I have found that the 3 sided pyramids are much better at holding bottom in a current. My normal rig starts with me slipping a pyramid onto my main line then tying on a barrel swivel and to the other end of the barrel swivel goes my leader and hook. I plan on trying a longer leader this year and putting a very small float halfway down it to keep my bait off the bottom.

:0a26:

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use pyramids often. In fact, anytime I don't want my bait to move too much from where I cast it, I'll use a pyramid from 2-4 oz. They work really good with big live baits and heavy current where you are trying to keep a bait right in one spot. When I'm probing a spot, I'll usually use a rolling weight to find structure and fish, then anchor up and throw baits on pyramids just in front of where fish are (should be) sitting.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i use em when fishing sand bars but other than that i use bank sinkers. have nay of you seen storm sinkers? they look like pyramids but they have a rod looking thing that comes out of the top of em. they are supposed to hold and cast better than pyramids.

8. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio

I have seen those at the ocean. The wire will dig into the sand or mud to help hold in strong current.They use them alot surf fishing.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've seen those and anchor sinkers that they use to run a mainline for king fishing. A buddy of mine and I actually dabbled a little with this technique for catfish...he caught a 25lb flattie and a 15lber doing it one night, but then nothing for the next two trips except gar hits...but we might get the technique down this year!

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i do like using them, but in some areas i fish they just get snagged easier than other sinkers

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, if I'm fishing an area where there are snags of that nature, even a sliding or rolling weight isn't going to move that far! In that case, any sort of round shaped sinker will be more willing to pull free.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I used to use the pyramid sinkers on a three way rig, but I switched to a no roll sinker on a carolina rig and I like it much better.

13. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use them with a slip rig in lakes when it's windy they really hold. In rivers with a sandy/muck bottom with few snags I like a 3 way rig for live bait.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nope I have never use any, but I have use the bank sinkers.

15. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I use pyramid sinkers on a 3 way rig when I'm fishing for flatheads and channels, they work great.

16. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    I use the no roll sinkers when fishing for channels when the river is in normal flow. If the river is up and running I go to a heavier pyramid sinker for a little better holding power. When fishing for flathead and using a three way I always find that the pyramid or bank sinkers seem to work the best. Expect to lose a few due to snags.

17. scum_bucket

scum_bucket New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like using em on my three way swivels.

18. Whatsdanglin

Whatsdanglin New Member

State:
    Florida
    I like to use em in the Rivers .....but tie light line to em so it breaks off if you get hungup.