Anyone use maggots/spikes?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by nralover, May 16, 2007.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I read somewhere that spikes release a scent when hooked that is irresistable to bluegill. They are about the only bait I haven't tried, but if they are that productive they are worth a go...

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I use um to fish for perch when im ice fishing and have very good results. i would imagine they would work great for gills.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Maggots are great bait for gill.

4. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    I used wax worms for the first time this year, and all I can say is that the gills love them down here in Louisiana. I have used 400 of the 500 I have ordered.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, maggots are the best bream bait possible. Mealworms are a reasonably close second. But maggots don't just attract bream; I've sat anchored in one spot off the end of a rock jetty and caught bream, catfish, crappie, and largemouth bass with maggots over a two hour period. Seems to me that running a whole bunch of maggots through a blender and then straining them would result in a sponge bait that would really tear up the kitties.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Sorry - but that one just about gagged me. I'm not a real squeamish person, but putting maggots in a blender?! Not me.

7. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    You can't beat maggots for bluegill bait. I am in the process of trying to raise my own. I don't have access to them at a store. I could order them on-line. I am just one of those people that like to do things on my own. Back to the subject. Maggots are the can't be beat, bait for bluegill. Like jtrew said, lots of fish love them. Try them for carp also.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Dale, in the past, I've used fish scraps to raise a bunch of maggots, but recently I read about another technique. Simply put out a can of cheap dog food, let the flies blow it, then let the eggs hatch & the maggots grow. If the maggots look like they're eating up all the dog food before they grow to the length you want, you can open another can of dog food. To harvest, simply put the whole mess on a screen and spray with water. Most of the dog food will wash through the screen, leaving the maggots. Pick them up and put them into a container of cornmeal, then store in the fridge. (If you're not lucky enough to have a bait fridge, don't tell your wife!)

9. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    And as far as I know I would have to order on-line too or can they be found in the south? After you got them how did you keep them and how long did they live? I have been using red worms and crickets, do the shellcrackers bite the wax worms, I like them better as they are larger in my local lake.

10. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    I ordered from Armstrong Cricket Farm in Shreveport, LA. $16 for 500 and that includes shipping. I keep them in the containers they come in in my ice box. Going on 2 monthes now and they are still alive. I have caught bluegill, shell cracker, catfish, crappie and bass this year on them.

11. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    This place has all kinds of stuff. Anyone use any of the other worms for shellcrackers? grubcobait.

12. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dry dog or catfood, or anything soured ( grain, oatmeal cornmeal etc ) Mix with a little water and let sour ( outside in the sun ), then as previously posted let the flies do there thing. eep adding whatever till the maggots are big enough, then wash with hose and store in fridge. I have kept em about a year in the baitfridge. I also cover the container with a board and move to the shade until the little buggers are ready to harvest.

13. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for the info. I've never used maggots, but if people are willing to grow them, then i better give them a try! lol!

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    They're good enough that I've always picked them out of rotted fish scraps. That's why an easier, cleaner method is so attractive! :bad_smelly:

15. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Thanks for the info jtrew. I will have to give it a try. My wife is pretty cool about it, she doesn't mind me keeping them in the crisper :big_smile:. I use a Lindy Grub Getter to carry them. You can use it for all kinds of grubs and maggots. It has a divider with holes to separate the maggots and grubs from the sawdust or cornmeal. This is a great product. If you use them for bait, you should give it a try.

16. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Ok, I've got an idea here I found at ************ one time....Now this should be done over your favorite fishing spot and "concealed"....Everybody except jtrew.....He's gotta hang it in his bedroom so his wife can catch em in a bucket as they hit the floor....

http://www.************/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=22098&highlight=Maggots+roadkill

This is the most practical way I've ever heard for baiting a hole/spot.....All's you need is a string or wire to tie with....Hope this helps....Dwight

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, the site wouldn't let me open that link, but it sounds like it's a picture of a drum or wire basket hanging over the water so that you can throw meat scraps, road kill, etc. in it. The maggots will fall into the water, providing constant chum. That it? As far as my wife catching them, that ain't gonna happen. She doesn't even like to fish. She attends the gatherings to socialize.

18. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Kinda....You get a roadkill and hang it in a tree above a spot and let it hang there and the maggots will fall outa the roadkill and attract fish.....Dwight

19. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Been using Wax Worms this year... Can usually catch more gills than 2 people need for a nite of flathead fishing in a bout 15 minutes... I've caught Channels and largemouth bass on them as well....

20. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    You mean you don't have to freeze em?????I didn't think they would keep in the fridge very long....What's the deal????Dwight