Anyone Use Grasshoppers For Bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by troyedm, Jan 13, 2007.

1. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    i used to fish with grasshoppers all the time. i don't think i saw a one this last summer. anyone else use them, see any?

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would use grasshoppers and had good sucess but havn't used any in several years.Main reason I no longer have my baitbox that i had to keep them in. They are good bait though!:big_smile:

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    it kind long time ago when i was kid, I alway catch grasshopper and put bait box, I using them and sometime it succeed caught some nice channel catfish. right now I don't use them anymore, I am using different bait as liver and nightcrawler for channel.

4. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, to tell you the truth i have never used a grasshopper for the kitty's, but i do use the for the bait for the hungry cats. i always catch perch off of grasshoppers. Seen tons of em this summer!

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Grass hoppers ware great bait for late summer and early fall for cats, would probably work most of the year come to think of it. I gather mine at night with a flashlight, they can be picked off their roost with Little effort on your part. Also you can be selective as to size. Once gathered, hoppers can be frozen for year or so.

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I have caught a small channel or two off of them,but most often I catch perch,then use them for cat bait.Thanks for the info about freezing them I'll have to try that.Are they mushy when they thaw out?

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    When I was A Kid I ran out of bait,so caught a hopper threw it out in a little creek they call Bay Creek in Il. Wasn't getting any bites,so started to reel my line in an d bamp it hit. didn't get him in but it was the biggest Johnnie Cat(called back then
    ) had ever hooked into. Got it close enough to see then the line broke on my little ol Zebco 202.Was the only bite Ihad that day. So yes they do make good bait.Can't seem to find big ones anymore all small.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    for trout a hopper with a size 10 thru the collar so its still kickin is killer. never tried a hopper for cats before.

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Never used hoppers for cats, but it has certainly been a great bait for me for all panfish.

Wheelmobile07

10. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    In the fall of the year, I go out at night and catch the big Yellow grasshoppers I put them in a coffee can with holes in the top. Then the next morning I go to the small rivers around here with my cane pole and I know I can catch a nice mess of eaters. I drop them hoppers around some drifts or a channel along the bank and hang on.. Nothing better then that.

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I'll use them around here in August. I like to hook them through the collar and use a slipfloat. I'll catch as many panfish, but will still hook some nice cats.