Anyone use crayfish/crawdads for bait for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Pdavieng, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Pdavieng

Pdavieng New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anyone ever use live crayfish/crawdad for flatheads? I'm thinking about getting some since they stay alive pretty long. And how well does the flathead hit the bait?

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I don't generally use them for flatheads, because they seem to like live bluegill better around here. But the channels will go crazy over it. I pinch off thier pinchers too to make sure a finicky one won't pass it up. Don't really know if it matters, just something I've always done.

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive been told many times that crayfish are excellent catfish bait. Ive used them 3-4 times and didnt even get a bite. I might have been in the wrong spot, the wrong time, or just plain bad luck. But its worth a shot, crayfish are on the prey list for most fo the predatory fish.

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Well first thing Rocky, WELCOME to the BOC! A great spot for your first thread. You'll meet alot of very interesting people with a wealth of information given just for the asking. It doesn't get any better than Free! As to your question yes I've used them and had some luck. My best suggestion is when using them for bait I always keep them off the bottom. The little critters can hide under anything. I hook them through the tail and they stay alive on the hook. I hope this helps and again WELCOME:0a25: :0a26:
    Don

5. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never caught a flathead using a crawdead. They are great bait for channels and pretty much every other fish though.

Crawdeads are 100 times better when they are used soft. You can catch them at night already soft, usually after a warm rain. They are kinda tricky to catch, I use my hand, but when soft, they slow up a bit. You can keep them alive soft too. Layer them in some tupperware or something, between every layer, add a lot of moist paper towel. Throw them in the fridge and they will stay soft and alive for a while. I wouldn't try this if you are married. They will crawl out and start roaming the fridge for your wife to find when she is grabbing a snack.

6. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive caught everything on craws & that usually why I dont use them as much anymore. I try to narrow down from multi-species bait to catfish bait. But yes flatheads as well as channels love them, & they are a fun bait to fish when I'm fishing for the fun of it.(not tournament fishing)

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have caught a few off of them and also caught some good size channel as well but you have to fish with what ever the big cats have been eating i think.

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Crawfish work well here in AZ resovour lakes. Those things infest most bodies of water in AZ and pretty certain all predatious fish will eat them, or try to eat them. Like was mentioned, they work well if kept out of the rocks.

I was thinkin to try them off the bottom using a small bobber to keep it suspended. Heave'nt tried it yet though.

9. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have never caught a flathead with a crawfish but they sure are good bait for the channels. In the rivers I fish though the drum get to them before the catfish have a chance.

10. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    if i were to us crawlfish they would be soft crawls. i used them before i would go out at nite and get them they are a very good bait just got to keep the little fish from getting there first.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    every time iv used them i ended up catchin white perch drum and bass but if dont mind catchin them then you might even catch a cat on them once in awhile just remember to tear off their legs cause they tend to crawl under rocks when fished on bottom