Anyone use bullhead catfish for cutbait?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Kelo80, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Kelo80

Kelo80 New Member

State:
    SW MN
    Do they work? I usually use suckers or creekchubs. Any input is appreciated!

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    A catfish to catch another catfish? I thought it was absurd. After reading through a few threads on the BOC, I decided to give them a try (we couldn't get many bluegills that day due to a storm passing through and all we had were a dozen bullheads that were bycatches of the castnet). Well, we caught 2 fish over 15lbs and one fish at 27lbs that night. That night, I learned that bullheads do work

Just make sure you clip the fins off them.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wouldn't cut them up. I think that they are one of the best live baits going. I don't clip the barbs I don't think it makes much difference except to the fisherman. A brother I fish with cuts them. He left the end of the barb sharper than it was originally OUCH got me good! lol:crazy:

4. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    As far as I know all catfish are cannibals. One of the guides on the Rio Ebro in Spain showed me a picture of an eighty pound fish with a 35 pound cat hanging out of its mouth.

And they will eat them alive, or dead and cut. To be honest, I would say that they have the edge when fished live. Just my opinion! :)

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I only cut fish that are either too big (if that's possible) or if they die in the bucket. Otherwise it's alive all the way for me. Haven't tried bullheads yet, but I will this summer.

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I cant keep from fryin them up before I go fishing tasty little buggers LOL

7. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    same here...lol

-Red

8. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Their illeagal to use around here, but I think they would work just as good as any other baitfish, and I think they would stay alive for a long time.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Like Mike said I only use them :tounge_out: live never tryed them cut

10. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use bullheads because they are easy to catch and to keep. I have a 100 gallon stock tank that I use to maintain a stock of about 50 to 75 bullheads so I always have bait on hand and ready to go.

I use them live for flatheads but I have caught channel cats on cut bullhead. In Minnesota bullheads are considered minnows as long as they are under 7 inches and we can legally harvest them. A 7 inch or so bullhead makes nice cut bait. I run the fillet knife down one side and make a fillet cut. I cut off the head and don't use it. The fillets are very bloody and leave a nice scent trail. Like others have said, I prefer to use bait that is readily available in those waters. You know cats have been eating those type fish on a regular basis.

11. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Here in ks i use bullheads all the time. I usually use them live though never tried cutting them up. Dont see why that wouldnt work cut. I have caught some nice flats though. I have a buddy that is all he uses.

12. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When I lived in MN we used to use them all the time for big channels, cut , they were a little big to use live for the fish we were after. But over all I would say they are a great bait.

13. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I just put one of those in my aquarium that I caught last night. I have never used one for bait but I did catch a reasonable sized channel on a trotline once that had the tail bit off and had scrape marks all down his sides from a flathead when I got to him so I am sure that they would be great bait.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dm1975 if you have other fish in that aqu.you better take the mud cat out.he will eat the other fish just like a flathead.mud cats make good bait for flatheads when used alive.ive never used one for cut bait.

15. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I have a Jack Demsey in there over twice his size and it is a fairly large aquarium. Plus a few sunfish. If he eats them sunfish that is ok with me. I dont keep small fish.

16. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    NEVER TRIED THEM AS CUT BAIT, I'VE JUST USE THEM LIVE.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have cut strips off their fillet and caught bass and channels. i just always feel guilty if i don't use em live!