Anyone use bobbers for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by rushing, Jul 16, 2006.

1. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Anyone have any success using floats/bobbers on rivers for flats?

I have tried several times using a lighted float with a 5-6in bullhead underneath it for flats and I havent had any luck with it. The only time I have had any action was when the float was basically laying right on the edge of the shore and I woke up to my clicker screaming and the float was gone. Missed the fish and I dont really count that as a sucess since the float had kinda washed up halfway onto shore when I got the bite. I have caught walleyes while fishing eddys for flats with a lighted bobber and a bullhead, but screw walleyes I want flats! :lol:. In minnesota you are only allowed one line so I often feel like I am wasting river time when I try using a bobber.

If anyone has had succes, what kind of water do you look for and how do you rig up?

thanks

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Dafin should be chimin in too :big_smile: !

I do when there is not much current and using live bait only. The thing is my bobbers will submerge and are only used to keep the bait OFF the bottom and dacing more to call in them Tabby Cats.

3. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I'm not a die-hard flat fisherman but the one in my avatar came from from under a float.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I float for flathead 90% of the time. Both in rivers and lakes, I set the depth about mid way in the water . I like to fish back currents and just over the edge of drop offs.

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Rushing, floatrigs are used alot. If you have the right ones they work great. I use the Bigthrill bobbers. Mostly the 8" models, they will hold up a 1oz weight plus your bream without a problem. They even work in med current.

6. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I believe The bobber I am susing is a thill, its like a 9-11in bobber the top unscrews and you can place lights in there. I just think it would be great to watch a lighted bobber go sailing uinderneath the water as a nice flat runs off with the bullhead. It doesnt sound like I am doing anything wrong, but for some reason I just havent had any success.

7. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    CK out the Kat Bobber by Maine Wolf Products .
    He is a Sponsors, we have.:lol:

BIGCAT GarryEads

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i like float fishing when ever i can i think its just a blast,i make mine to float my big live baits for flatheads now since its hard to get one that will float a 1 pound bullhead

9. 1-flathunter

1-flathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    All the time.If possible.

10. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I do not use floats, but I could be open to the possibility. I haven't caught a flat this year.

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i use them alot. i use the 12 inch floats and set my bait about a foot of the bottom. when i fish from a boat i cast rods out one side of the boat on bottom and a couple of floats shallow incase something is cruising around looking for a easy meal. also i think it helps the bait stay alive better cause its not having to try to pull the hook and sinker around with it. also when you reel in you pull your bait up to top of water instead of across the bottom and dragging it or getting hung.

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    When the cats are not biting is when I try a bobber/ slip float. I usualy try close to the bank, usualy cut bait.

13. cherokee laker

cherokee laker New Member

State:
    georgia
    I use a 12' not weighted slip cork on half of my rigs...........I caught one shoehead and several gar on it this weekend...........but I'm still learning when it's a good approach and when it ain't........

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I made up my own catbobbers out of the noodles. I made them about six inches long. Sat. night I used one for the first time and landed a 3.5 lb. channel out of the pond we fish a lot, I also caught a 4lber off the bottom. I was using about a one inch square of cut bait soaked in COD LIVER OIL. The guy I was fishing with was using cut bait he had let sit out in the sun and spoil, he had no bites. I will be using the cat bobbers more often I do believe.

15. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the reponses guys! I guess I will keep trying. I really want to get one on a bobber!

16. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bobbers can be great...however when using them pay attention to your surroundings and cover. Your live bait will have more room to roam with a bobber and can get you in some sticky situations. just cuz you can see your bobber doesn't mean your bait doesn't have you wrapped around a log or brush. Pay attention to the movement and if you see anything unusual or inconsistent check to make sure you are not snagged up....other than that they are great for placing your bait in places you can't always get by fishing the bottom. good luck

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What Garry said, check out Maine Wolf Products. They usually have special pricing for BOC members, and their bobbers look great

18. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    o man ya at lakes with no current i love to use bobbers well i use ballons very cheap and dont make them very big tennis ball size is plenty and i use a 2 ounce sinker so i can cast a good ways out . when i fish at night i tape a glow stick to them. i tie my hook on then come up around a foot and tie my sinker on how deep the water is depends on depth u want to keep the bait off bottom so he will swim around i mean if the water is only 3 ft deep dont have the ballon 5 feet up from the hook . i mostly try to target a bank with fallin trees or brush but a man made dam with big rocks is killer also. its a blast watching them swim away with the ballon or disapears i like to keep the ballons as small as possible so theres less pressure for the fish to feel as he swims away with it. make sure all the slack line is reeled up before trying to set the hook. infact i leave the bail open using spin cast or use bait clickers on bait cast so the bait can go where he wants.

19. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    There also a killer for fish suspended over deep water mainly during warmer months, bobber stop, slip float baseball style, 1-3 oz lead egg or pencil style if using pencil style use sinker slide you can change size of lead in one sec., bead, swivel, leader, and hook. Can be used drifting, trolling, and anchored. They also work well in the river you can float a bait right up next to a snag or run some baits way down river way pass casting range, lead size will depend on the current. And the fish will suspend in the river also.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Scotty, I am glad you signed up. You have that something that makes a good flathead fisherman. I can't wait to pick your brain LOL. Everything I have read on your posts is true in my experiences also. So I know you have cool nuggets of info tucked away that you don't even think are important. We all have them, we're just needing the right question to click over and say, "hey I could help with that" Welcome to the BOC Scotty, look forward to your posts.