Anyone use blacklights?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by thunderchicken, Oct 10, 2006.

1. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I was wondering if anyone uses a blacklight to fish for cats at night? I have heard that they make mono look like rope under their light. Would sure help in the summer time when it can get pretty buggy. Thanks.
    :cool2:

2. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    ive been using them for about 7 8 years and wouldnt go at night with out them.

3. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ive been curious about black lights for fishing too. Do you have to have a special fishing line for it to work? I usually just bells but I like to be able to see what my poles are doing too.

Thanks for the info!

Tight lines to ya!

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Yes, I use them frequently, they work well with slaor collector green Big Game line. I just painted my rod tips with some flourescent paint made for model cars etc. The bottle is small & easily kept in your tackle box.

The best part is............NO BUGS:big_smile:

5. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    i tried it this summer. worked great for seeing poles and line, but didn't help with the bugs very well.

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have thought about blacklights a time or 2 but i like fishing in the dark while catfishing.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I threw away all of my fuzzy Zepplin and Sabbath posters about 15 years ago. Now I know what to do with my black light.

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:

I Use The Ones made by U-Lite,Maybe the same manufacture, just under a different name.They are exactly as you described yours to the "T"

9. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    how many amps do these lights draw an hour?

10. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was told that a black light is almost pure ultra violet light. And you should never look at one. It's kind of like sunburning your retenas. I know that they work like yall are saying, but my eyes are bad enough. So I've never tried one. Does anybody know for sure if this is true or not? If I remember correctly, the friend who told me this said that an optomotrist had told him. It might be bull, I don't know.

11. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Wylie, A Black light doesn't create UV light. At least no more than a light bulb. They are nothing more than dyed glass with white light on the inside. A UV light does the same to bright colors as a black light making it glow in the dark. A UV light is more blue than purple and costs about 4 times more than a black light. Safe to say your eyes will be fine if you buy a nightstalker or similar product.

Matt

12. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I use two Zorro Super Doubles. I have them attached to my rod-holder bar. They work great pointed out the back because you're not looking directly at the light but they make your flourescent line glow bright.

Attached Files:

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Real black lights are indeed UV lights, and could harm your eyesight with enough exposure. Part of the risk is that because they don’t look as bright, you may be inclined to stare at the bulb for periods of time, vs a white light where the brightness would make you look away.

This applies to fluorescent and led black lights. I’m not sure if the cheaper “painted” light bulbs are a UV source or not, but it doesn’t hurt to be careful. Most all lights give off some UV.

My advice…. Just don’t spend time staring directly into ANY light bulb, black light or not, and you will be fine. Most black lights are relatively weak light sources, and a glance here or there isn’t going to blind you, but spend your fishing nights staring directly into the light bulb and you just might accumulate enough to do damage.

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Mine are 18" Long ea. & have a 15 watt rating. I have 3 of them mounted around the "T" top & run them all night long w/o any problems killing the battery. I do have 2 batteries and switch the selector to one or the other just in case, unless I'm underway.

15. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Thanks for the great info guys. Really appreciate it. The amp draw would be good to know. Was wondering how much battery drain there would be although I would suspect not very much.
    :cool2:

16. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I'm out of town right now or I'd go check mine for you. I remember checking them before and they were only a couple amps each. Like 2.5 or 2.8 each. I'll check them when I get home if no one has answered you by then.

17. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    its a myth that they don't attract bugs! i won't use a blacklite in my boat because the skeeters go wild. i have used 'em banking because its far enuff away that the bugs don't "bug" me and the work very well.

18. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Never heard of this

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    The amp rating would roughly work out to be 1.5 amps on the 15 watt rated bulbs, using a 12 volt DC source. Running them all night on a standard amp hour rated battery will be fine.

If you have a small engine, it's probably not equipped with an alternator/voltage regulator system & isn't designed to recharge dead batteries. Therefore it is not advisable to leave the battery switch on the battery that you were running your lights off of. Switch to the "get home" battery & then recharge your other battery with another charger when you get home.

HTH, Elliot

20. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    i use them hunting and fishing,, they dont attract mosquitos,, i like that