Anyone use a OKUMA Bait Caster?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by rks1949, Oct 6, 2009.

1. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just ordered a Okuma Bait caster S-400LX. I've allways used right hand reels,and pitched them over to my left hand to crank them!:eek:oooh: So I thought I'd try a left hand model. The reels are dirt cheap (less than 32.00 shipped). A friend of mine just got a Okuma with a line counter,and used it last week end. He said it was great,so far. It's supposed to have 4 SS bearings,and a good drag. I guess once it get's here I'll be able to test it out. It looks like there is allot of "plastic" in the reel? Here's a link to the reel. Ron http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10355647

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Given the features of the reel, I'd say that you got a pretty good deal on it.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i seen them a while back and would have liked to try one of the right handed models let us know what ya think of it.:wink:

4. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    You didn't get hurt on that reel, now go put the hurt on dem cats :eek:oooh:

5. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Got a e/mail this morning,and it's here!:big_smile: I'll pick it up and take some pictures (it may not look as good,up close and personal). This whole adventure is to find out if I need a "left hand reel". I've been told that if you cast "right handed" you want a left hand retrieve ( left hand cranki'n" reel). My spinning reels are set up like this,and I kinda like it. I've fished with "right hand" bait casters for years (bass fishing):crazy: and allways tossed the rod/reel over to my left hand after casting. I didn't know,(or was too dumb care) if this was the right way,or not.:confused2: That's just the way I was taught to do it! This should be fun! Ron

6. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I'm the same way; I've always done my casting with my right hand and switched to my left hand. I'm used to it, and it's not at all strange to me.

7. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    Not a bad reel for the money.

8. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah,I thought what the heck! If it works well,it will be a good deal,and if it don't,I'm not out much!:smile2: Picked it up a while ago,and I gotta say it's pretty impressive!:big_smile: The build,and parts fit are nice. It also cranks smooth. It has a thumb bar spool release,(I've never used one of these) but all in all it looks like it's going to be a decent reel. I'll spool some line on it and get back with a casting/fishing report later (today)( hopefully). I've opened the manual,and can't find where the little red sleeves go that are stapled to the manual.:eek:oooh: I'll figure it out later. Ron

Attached Files:

9. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have an Okuma 450CL on an 8Ft Berkley Glow stick, I love it. The clicker isnt as loud as my Penn's but It works well and I horse in 10LBers easy. Havent caught more than a 10LBer on it yet. I have a few Okuma Spinning reels and I love those, they cast a country mile

10. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    After landing 14 fish today 1 1/2-3 lbs.(nothing of any size) the reel is working fine!:big_smile: It cast smoothly (but makes a buzzing sound:eek:oooh:) and dosen't backlash,no matter how hard you cast. I kinda like the left hand crank.The bait clicker is audiable,and works as it should. Now if it just holds up under larger fish,the price tag of 30.88 (Shipping,and tax included) will be a bargin. I'm impressed with it enough to order a second one. Hard to find anything these days that actually works like it is supposed to, for that price!:wink: Ron

11. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    never used one but have seen one blow up! gears flying everywhere with a big blue at the other end

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I don't think ya can go wrong at that price, I dont' know much about em but you should be able to get your money's worth outa it.

13. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Sounds like you got a REEL deal...:roll_eyes:

14. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Update,on the reel! It's still working fine after about 4 fishing trips. Got snagged up on a log last time out,and pulled,yanked hard on the reel. Finally broke the hook off!:crazy: The reel is still working fine. This may be one of the best "low/dollar/starter" reels around.Not as "flashy" as my abu's,but seems to be a real work horse!:big_smile: Ron