Anyone use a lever drag reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by thunderchicken, Sep 15, 2009.

1. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Was wondering if anyone has or has used a lever drag reel and if so what they thought about it? Was it easier to use than a star drag system with less chance of making a drag adjustment mistake during battle with a big fish? Thanks for comments. Tight lines and good fishin.

:cool2:

2. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I started using them about a year ago....I will fish with nothing else now....

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont use them all the time but i have 2 old penn lever drags that i use.work good for me

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I thought everyone used them already?............try one I did, and now I want touch a star drag

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the biggest plus of them is ease of clicker usage in all currents. drag ajustment is easyer and you can pre set the max ammount you want it to have so you wont go over. imo drag setting isnt as critical as some think.

6. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't own a lever drag reel yet, but when I build a fighting rod for kings on the T of a pier, it will DEFINITELY have a lever drag. For cats, I think a lever drag is overkill (maybe not for blues, never fished for them though).

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It isn't about the amount of drag, it's about adjusting the amount quickly. To use circle hooks properly, you need a lot of quick drag adjustment imo.

I bought a abu 7000 lever drag recently, Haven't fought a fish on it yet. It's pretty though. I was reading about them and it is one of the few reels where spool tension doesn't go up when you apply more drag like the 6500 size lever drag does. That might be frustrating if you meant to cast the thing much. The reel I got is a cool reel and the drag washer is one huge washer only. A totally different design than the regular style reel.