Anyone use a .17 HMR?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by onlyone, Mar 17, 2006.

1. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Anyone here use a .17 HMR? Do you like it?

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Peter, Yes, I have one. I've got a heavy barreled Marlin bolt action that I got at Walmart when they first came out. Man it is a hoot. It is amazing how accurate they are. On a windless day mine it will shoot a ragged at 50 yards and almost as good at 75 and less than an inch at 100. The only drawback is that if you hit a squirrel anywhere but the head their ain't much left. Hopefully they will start making some plain ole soft point bullets for it.
    ST

3. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Thanks for the info seedtick.:)

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Well I replied to this one. but its not here.
    Yes I have the the same model It's the SS model.
    AS for the BSA scope, The one I bought is a piece of junk. The next one may be good.
    But I spent more on the Scope then the gun. Your gun is only as good at the scope you put on it.
    It's a Nikon Monarch UCC 3x9 power.
    The gun with this scope will group 5 shots in a dime..
    Pete

5. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    ya I've heard they'll really tear stuff up. Thats what I like to hear!:) Thanks for the info.

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Man, 17 HMR is the best all around gun... Deer, Squirrle, Rabbit, Coyote, Game bird. It dont matter what ur after this gun has the knock down power up to 100-150 yards if u have it sighted good. My uncle has i think a Stevens and I think he paid about 200.00 for his but its worth it. A box of shells are around 10 bucks but well paid for. It sure keeps his freezer full... I would invest in one thats worth it dont go buy a cheap one.. My grandpa just traded for one with a bull-putt barrel and its nice... single shot.. my uncles is bolt action. :)

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Now I'm not going to say it will not kill a deer. but theres no way I would shoot one with it.
    Way to big of a chance of not getting a clean kill. And If I can't get a good shot I will not shot one.
    Man theres way to many people shooting them with everything in the world. and letting them run off and die.
    Pete

8. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have a Marlin bolt action w/ the heavy stainless steel barrel and I'm really not impressed w/ it.Think I will just stick w/ my 10/22 for small game.

9. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Onlyone, I dont have one but want one really bad. I have shot quite a few of them and absolutely love them. They are really pretty powerful, more so than a .22 it would be a great plinkin gun, or just a good gun to have to mess around with. I would highly recommend them and when I get the money I will have one myself! Good luck man!

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive goy one in a Ruger Mod17/77 man i love it ive got a weaverK3/9 on it now but i ordered a BSA sweet 17 for it i sure hope it aint junk too

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    is it legal to hunt deer with a .17 caliber bullet in ohio? i have a neighbor who wanted me to scope his marlin 17 hmr. he put a pretty good nikon scope on it. its a tack driver if the wind isnt blowin over 10 mph.ill stick with my .22 mag.

12. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have 3 of them. Marlin, savage & ruger. I LOVE them. They are fantastic for squirrels. Head shots at 100 yards are very possible. All of mine are super acurate. They do tend to destroy a "little extra meat" if you make a body shot. I take mine along on prarie dog hunts & everyone there has more fun with them than with their centerfires.
    James

13. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I wouldn't use one for deer but it could probally kill one with a head shot. A body shot wouldn't penetrate enough to hit the vitals.

I remember reading in my 17 cal reloaders bible that when one of the 17 caliber wildcats (don't remember which one) first came out, a hunter lost his rifle to a guide in Alaska. The guide bet the hunter that he (the guide) could kill a brown bear with it. He did. Three quick shots to the head & he owned a new rifle. I also have a video of a bow hunter charging across open ground towards a brown bear & killing it with a shot between the eyes. If he had not made an instant kill...
    Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's a good idea.

James