anyone tryin to fish this week/weekend?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bigfisher102, Oct 5, 2009.

1. bigfisher102

bigfisher102 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey everyone, I'm new here and pretty new to catfishing. Been fishing almost all my life and done a little catfishing in the past but now starting to really get into it. Me and a buddy of mine have been fishing on the Neuse without much luck, mostly catching really small channels and flatheads on chicken livers. We are ready to catch some big ones lol. If anyone wants to meet up and fish one night let me know. I'm in Raleigh, but can go other places if it isn't too far. Just let me know when and where! Name is Zack btw.

2. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Sorry not from that area , but there's guy's on here that can help you out on the neuse . But , welcome to the BOC ...:wink::0a25:
    Good luck

3. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    welcome to the boc , i,m sure some of the nuese river gang will chime in to help you, good luck

4. bigfisher102

bigfisher102 New Member

State:
    NC
    thanks guys. yeah, I'm hoping someone will. Getting tired of catching the little ones lol. Still better than nothing though :smile2:

5. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Zach, welcome to the BOC. Try looking under the "North Carolina Rivers" section. There are a few nice threads on Raleigh catfishing. There are some real experts here who are happy to share their experience. You can also search the old threads for raleigh and neuse and will come up w/ some great stuff. in general, livers are good for small channels, but my luck on flats has come w/ live bait only. fish at night after a rainfall or when the water is up. i haven't figured out the river yet, but when i do, you will be the first to know.adam

6. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    zach....do away with the chicken livers.......need to be using bream and eel.......... might help you out with the size problem!:wink:

7. bigfisher102

bigfisher102 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks a lot! Yeah, I know that live bait is the way to go. Only problem is I don't really know a good place to catch bream. There's a pond in the neighborhood that I fish behind but they put up a no fishing sign. Sucks because there are tons of NICE bream in there. I caught a couple eels the other night and thought about using them as bait but didn't know it would work. I'm not really looking to limit myself to the Neuse, that's just the most convenient place for me lol. I only have 2 decent spots to fish at right now so I'm kinda looking for other places to go. I'm hoping someone more experienced will be able to meet up sometime and show me the ropes. lol.

8. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    congrats on the eel catch.........trust me.........fish with them!........especially if you caught them! the wild eel works better than the store bought!.......the size makes makes the difference in how you fish them!.........small ones...........whole!..........flatties and blues will eatem!...........same with the bigger ones but just cutem bout thi size of a vienea sausage.........blues and flatties both will hit it to....................flatties prefer the live but if presented right..........theyll hit cut!...........presentation is the key!:wink::0a26:

9. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    If the neuse is accessable for you, youre in luck, i got to drive an hour to get to the neuse but i do it. the neuse is a GREAT fishery for big cats. Probably the best in NC. The neuse and cape fear have proven themselves over the years. keep it up and fish that pond at night for the bream since there is a sign up!:wink: eels and bream for the win!!

10. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome to the B.O.C. ! Always good to see another from NC join us.. I'm afraid I'm a good ways from Raleigh but you may think about your bait. Live fish such as shad or bluegills etc seem to be some of the the go-to baits around here.

Again, Welcome.

11. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Zach, Welcome to the BOC! Kevin and David are right about the bait, now you have to make sure you can get a big one to the boat. Check out some of the threads on line, hooks, weights, and swivels, remember getting them to bite is half the battle then you have to land them. There are some big fish where you are at, you need the right set up to get them in. Kevin gave me a lot of good advice on rigs make sure you are using the right stuff. Nothing is worse than having a big fish on a losing it. Good Luck!

12. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Welcome to the BOC!!
    I'd assist if I could , but I am in Charlotte.
    Good Luck!!

13. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    daniel is right zach.......must have good gear to hoist up the bigguns.........nothing more dissapointing than sticking a biggun and not being able to get him to the boat..........:wink:

14. bigfisher102

bigfisher102 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks again everyone. I've got a couple questions. When I go and catch some bream, what is the best way to keep them alive? I've got a minnow bucket, but I'm sure it would be too small for more than 3 bream. Also, what hooks and rig should I use for live bait? I like circle hooks, but ran out them so I just got a bunch of gamakatsu octopus circle hooks because that was all I could find. Will these be good and do I need to set the hook with them? I've been using a carolina rig with sinkers that I think are less than 1 ounce since walmart was all out of the heavier ones. What weight should I be using? The water where I fish doesn't move fast at all. I'm sure I could just double up on the smaller sinkers if I needed to though.

15. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    theres many ways........walmart has a cooler aierator for around 20 bucks.......the old fasioned boublers work best though......they dont heat up the water!........i use 8/0 gamakatsu octopus circle.......carolina rig........40- 50 lb suffix with 100 lb litre! no roll sinke with a cigar cork between the swivel and the hook! sometimes ai tie a trailer hook and hook the bait twice depending on the size!:wink:

16. bigfisher102

bigfisher102 New Member

State:
    NC
    thanks a lot.
    think 20 pound test line will be alright? I just got the ugly stik catfish spinning combo from basspro and 20 is the best i can put on the reel until I buy a nice baitcaster. I tried braid, but it kept getting tangled up. what is the purpose of the cigar cork between the hook and swivel? and what would be the best way to hook the bream? How long do you think they would live in a large cooler without an aierator? I can't afford one right now

17. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Zack welcome to the BOC and good luck with your fishing:wink::smile2::cool2:

18. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    not too long with out some kind of aireation......the cork is to keep the bait off the bottom to keep mud from settling over it!

19. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Well I am a far piece from ya Arkansas but I will be on the banks somewhere at some point this weekend. Been cloudy up here all week and i need a sunshine fix! LOL Nothing better than soaking up that vitamin D while watching a cat bit!

20. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    What part of the neuse are you fishing? The big cats are not above Milburnie dam. You need to head downstream of the dam to get on some big ones.

There are tons of different little tips you can get about how to rig up your hook, sinker, rod, ect., but really it can be pretty simple. I always use a 1 to 2 oz. weight depending on current and bait. Then a circle hook, around 5/0 to 7/0, leave about anywhere from 1ft. to 2.5ft. between my hook and weight. I dont mess with carolina rigs because I am lazy. I like to go simple if I can. And to answer your question about setting a circle hook...circle hooks will set themselves, if anything you can slooowly pull your rod to increase tension, but trying to set it will jerk it out of the cats mouth. It never hurts to big ready for a big cat by having a larger pole with strong line. I fish 65lbs. braid and have had it snapped when trying to land a big ol neuse flattie.

Last thing, catfishing takes a lot of patience, don't expect to catch fish everytime you go, but the wait just makes a big one that much more enjoyable.