Anyone try a rattle bobber?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BenNewt, Sep 30, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    A few flathead guys in MN here attach a small rattling crappie bobber (Mr. Crappie Rattlin Pear) on the leader between the hook and the swivel. The theory goes that flatheads (like most fish) track down their prey by sensing vibrations in their lateral line. A baitfish with a rattle puts out more vibrations than a baitfish without a rattle. Makes sense right?

I tried this rig a few times and caught fish on it, including a flathead. Anyone here ever try a rig like this? Any thoughts?

Ben

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thanks for the idea Ben. i may try that this saturday.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sounds like a good idea in theory.I sometimes use cheap styroballs from the craft store threaded on between hook and swivel.Them rattle floats seem a little too costly to be losing with all the hangups I get though.:wink:

4. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i'll try it to, shoot it cant hurt my Flathead fishing this year:embarassed::embarassed::eek:oooh::wink: thank's for the idea

5. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    As a bonus noise maker use 2 teardrop no snag sinkers together instead of one, they clang like a wind chime when your bait struggles.

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bass Worm Rattler Beads stuck inside the eye of the hook.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    toss a blade on the leader too for more flash.:wink:

8. festus

festus New Member

I have about a dozen of those rattling pear bobbers I use for float 'n fly for crappie and smallmouth, but never thought about using them for a bottom fishing attractor. They're too expensive (3 for $2) to use around rocks, but I'll definitely use them in ponds. Good idea.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yes I've messed around with rattles a bit this year. Now either by coincidence or not, each time I put the rattle on (the hook it's self) it was that line that got bit. At this point I'd say rattles DO work.... I can definately say, they sure don't hurt.

10. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Well i tryed it andit do any thing for me,I didnt have good live bait this week end so im sure that had some thing to do with it as well, I did get a 14 lbs flat head on sliced up war mouth:wink:

11. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Iv tryed something like that befor,I used one of my rubber bands that i use for a stopper and used it to put worm rattler beads that are in a small plastic or glass tube and put it on the top of my hook by the eye then one on the bottom of my leader, right on the other side of my hook eye:cool2: