Anyone tried this rigging with success

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by mcwrestler, Apr 25, 2006.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used this rig for years to catch tons of carp big and small. It is effective in presenting the bait on the level they swim and over cover like grass. I also freeline the bread rigged the same way as in the diagram, just minus sinker and scuh. I am posting a pic of the rig that I drew on paintshop, so it si crappy, but it may convey the point better than I can explain it. If anyone else uses this please tell me how you have done This has outproduced anything I have used, even when fishing is slow. It will be blurry do to resizing, but you get the point. When baited the bread flats in the same position as the hook is shown, with the eye down, point up. Also, if you use splitshot sinkers it will not stay on bottom. This presentation works great on topwater, and for some reason unknown to me the carp always hit the soft part and get the hook, when they turn you see your line moving away, ste the hook and fish on.

Attached Files:

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Brad, Ive used this rig as most folks have since it is what i would consider the standard bottom feeder rig ( carp, cats, drum etc) It is a great rig that allows fish to free run but sometimes you have to watch them if they run towards you, fish tend to either swallow the hook or be hard to detect.

Good picture though!!
    Salmonid

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know the rig is commonly used, I was wondering about the bread baiting. Most people seem to ball it up and sink it, I was wondering if it is common for people to pop it up. Do you ever float the bread out for them. And after thinking, I guess it is a carolina rig with floating bread. I know the rig is standard for any type of fishing.

4. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also tight line and see the line drop. Plus, with the carp I fish for, when they get hooked they run into the snags that I fish in front of, which is running away. Occasionally I use a bolt rig to spook them if they seem to be coming at me that day. 9 out of 10 times they tend to run away.

5. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Brad,

I have used that type of rig for many years for many different species of fish. However, in my "carp pursuits" (concerning bait) all (until today, tried a Wheaties dough ball) I have ever used has been canned corn. So, with that said, I would like to know a bit more about your "bread bait". Are you using plain sliced bread bought at the store??? And, do you use very fresh bread (still somewhat doughy)? Or, bread that is somewhat old and therefore kind of dry?? And, are you using white or whole grain (wheat etc)?? More info, please.

Thanks

6. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I buy a fresh loaf every time I go out. I get 2lb bags from the grocery store for $1.19, and I usually get a few. I like the abilityt to keep the bait off the bottom where they get it as they pass. Fishing it popped up over a bed of corn has produced good action.Fresh bread is stickier and mor able to be put on the hook. Using old bread that is drier keeps me from being able to bait and cast it without weights and keep my bait.

7. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This weekend I will be testing my way at the CAG fish in at the Kingston Power Plant. I have a feeling that the guys with boilies are going to seriously teach me a few things. They have prebaited the area so I hope to catch some fish at least. I am going to expand on my knowledge and learn a few more tricks. I will report how things go. CAG has a wealth of info on carp if you are considering getting into carp fishing more.

8. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Brad,

Thanks for the extra input on the bread bait. And, I wish you the best of success on the CAG "fish in" at the Kingston Steam Plant. I lived in Lenoir City (almost 50 years ago) so I still have a vague recollection of the Kingston Steam Plant.

We used to fish (naturally) Fort Loudon lake the most. But, back then (as a young kid, of between 6 and 10) all I fished for was bream and crappie (when I got to go fishing, usually at somewhat frequent family picnics at the lake during summer) with a cane pole (from the bank).

As for CAG, I am a bit familiar with them. Stumbled across their site several months ago. And, yes, there is a lot of good information there. And, it would pay anyone who is opting to get into some serious carping to check them out.