The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get some rod holders for my boat - has anyone tried these?

Does anyone use a clamp on style? If so, which ones?
\
Looking for inexpensive at the moment due to wanting to put 6 in right away. I would love to put Monster holders in right away, but will more than likely just do 1 at a time going forward as replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/Driftmaster-100-H-Holder-Thread-Finish/dp/B0000AZ8ZL/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&fst=as:eek:ff&keywords=rod+holders&qid=1600879622&refinements=p_89:Driftmaster&rnid=2528832011&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-3

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,127 Posts
Jason,
I have no experience with clamp-on rod holders but Driftmaster make a good product. Something to be aware of is that the 100H is a 3/8” thread and so will require a 3/8” base. The 3/8 holders are pretty stout but have been known to bend under extreme load so if you ultimately intend to go with 1/2” Monsters, you will need 1/2” bases too.
It might be worth putting a want ad in the buy/sell section as guys are always upgrading stuff.

...W

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason,
I have no experience with clamp-on rod holders but Driftmaster make a good product. Something to be aware of is that the 100H is a 3/8” thread and so will require a 3/8” base. The 3/8 holders are pretty stout but have been known to bend under extreme load so if you ultimately intend to go with 1/2” Monsters, you will need 1/2” bases too.
It might be worth putting a want ad in the buy/sell section as guys are always upgrading stuff.

...W
Thanks! I hadn't thought about having to upgrade the base as well.......

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
1,867 Posts
Got the driftmaster duel levels on mine. 1/2inchers. 2 of 5/35, two of 33/45. Mounted to rack across back. Got room for more but donr need them here.

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
554 Posts
What ever you get go 1/2 inch stems
The 3/8 will work find for 10 pounders
But 20s and 30s will bend them

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,808 Posts
Never used any....looks like if a fish ran away from the boat it might get pulled out. That appears to be stainless steel or polished aluminum...just a thought...no experience

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use the tube type all the time. I have one rig I made that has 6 tube holders I love the adjustability and as far as a fish pulling a rod out. Nope I’ve caught some monsters using them and never had a problem. I’d rather use them that the other type. The regular rod holder can be a real pain getting the rod out when your hooked up to a mean blue.

·
Administrator
10,464 Posts
Very interesting rod rack Chuck. I will have to remember that method.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I made mine with scrap from work. I didn't have anyway to do the welding at home so that was done at work too. We had lots of 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8" bolts 12" long that would find their way to the scrap bin. A slice of angle iron for the fork and a slice of 1 1/2" pipe for the butt. The adjustment saddle was 16 and 12 gauge sheet metal. All mounted on 1 1/2" angle and square tube aluminum.
https://www.amazon.com/Hiumi-Aluminium-Fishing-Adjustable-Aluminum/dp/B0882HMV51/ref=sr_1_87?dchild=1&keywords=rod+holders&qid=1601224226&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-87

·
Administrator
10,464 Posts
Hey Chuck a couple of close-ups of that at different angles would be nice. Night help several on here.

Jason, that rod holder is unique and a couple more picks coils be good also.

I can see there someone might want a different sized tube. The base would be easy to make or you could just purchase the Channel aluminum. I would trim the bottom of the tube so it could easily rotate and then each individual could decide where he wanted his holes drilled to get the angle or angles he wanted. Very basic but very versatile.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
686 Posts
Jason alot depends on where and what your fishing for.

If your just fishing for channels in a lake the 3/8 will work fine. If your going to be after bigger fish in current you will have to loosen your drags or get 1/2" rod holders.

Reactions: Tr33guy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts