anyone tried mustad HOODLEM premium tuna hooks for catfishing?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kyleco55, Aug 17, 2009.

1. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i just got 50 of these from ebay, wondering if anyone has ever tried them for blues or flatheads? im getting pretty good hook-ups with 8/0 gama circles, but wanted to try something a little bigger for live bait. i found a 50 pack of these in 11/0 for $12, and figured i would give em a try. ill post my results in about a week, i hope! let me know if anyone has tried them already, and what was your experience like?

the full title on ebay was: Mustad HOODLUM 11/0 Premium Tuna 4X Hooks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I guess you were the one bidding against me:smile2::smile2:

I like the short shank, should be good with 6"-8" bullheads.

3. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    if i dont like em jim, ill ship em to ya!:smile2::smile2:

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I think they should work good. I would use them for flatheads in log jams and heavy cover. You could put a lot of pressure on a fish to turn him.

5. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    thats what im looking for.. i was thinking with the wide gap, they would work pretty good for live baits.. i hope so!

6. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    well Jim, it comes with a heavy heart, i have to say....... TOO BAD!!!!:smile2::smile2:

If you can find these online, and can outbid me(lol), I strongly recommend em..I've caught several flatheads and blues on live, and cut bait in the last few weeks.. these hooks are awesome.. short shank, strong, and sharp! Theres been a few times, I've not been paying attention, and they set themselves just like a circle hook. I'm definately going to add more to my tackle bag this winter..

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Ummmm they sale Big River Hooks in 12/0 at the local baitshop around here for $7.00 I think, I believe the same company that makes King Kahle's

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Kyle, I used to use them all the time for flatheadin' until I started using circle hooks. They are very strong, sharp hooks. They worked good for me. I still have a bunch that I need to sell.

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Kyle, have a few in 8/0 and they aren't that big. The wire is almost too thick. The thing that turns me off is the point is kind of turned in.

Google Mustad #9175UPBLN

It's an ultra point O'Shaughnessy. Just as sharp, same finish, etc. 8/0 in this hook is bigger. The point isn't turned in on these., I think it would be a lot easier to hook up with.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    um i think your a little mixed up your nameing 3 different companys.

11. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Looks like 2 to me: 1 being Big River and 1 being King Kahles. Are you reading correctly?

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    not really :embarassed: thought you were putting them in a group with the hooks that were being asked about in the thread:confused2:

13. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Oh no not at all he was asking about using big hooks and he said they were tuna. I was saying that they sell some Big River hooks but I couldnt remember the brand so he wouldnt have to use the tuna one's everyone says sucks. I'm going by the bait shop today so I will check the name for him

14. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    thanks for all the replys. i really like these hooks so far, and got a pretty good deal on them i think. $12 for 50 delivered to my door. I'm definately going to be in the market for more when she gives me my paypal acoount back..lol

Ramon, let me kow what you find out brother. I'm always up for trying something new to increase my hookups!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  15. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    how many you got? what size? and how much? If I cant get them off of you, dirtdobber might. He said he was looking for some a while back. I guess i was the one that outbid him on the bay..lol