Anyone tried Longer Life?

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by WaltonsMountain, Aug 3, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    http://baitkit.com/baitwell/c/Fresh-Water-Bait-Kits.html

I was thinking of getting either the Sunrise Yellow or just the 5 gallon for keeping my shad and bluegills. I was going to build my own but at these prices I might as well just buy one and save the time and effort. Anyone given these a go?

2. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    They look like a pretty good deal. I made my own from a 5 gal water jug, but thats not a bad deal for the price.

3. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    They look nice, but you can still make one a LOT cheaper. Just get a five gallon bucket, drill a hole in the lid, and put an air stone down in it.

Air stone=five bucks, aerator = ten bucks, bucket = probably just layin around. Anyways, thats what I did and it works fine. Just keep the water cold and put some kind of chlorine killing chemical in there.

4. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    ya I decided to go the 5 gal bucket route too. Picked up an igloo 5 gall for 15 and bubble box from walmart for 8 bucks. Do you need the chlorine killer? I was thinking of just using lake water where the bait came from....

5. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    I've been using lake water, the last 2 times I killed my bait was when I added city water and put catch & release clorine killer in it. I've decided since I live within a mile of the lake I'd just get that water and keep it cool with water bottles. So far its working. Im using a 5 gal water jug with an aerator hooked up to it.

6. Kitty Catcher

Kitty Catcher New Member

State:
    GA
    I think you made the right choice. You can use lake water especially in the winter but in the summer you may need to add some ice to the water to cool them down very very slowly so that it will hold more dissolved oxygen and don't overcrowd your bait tank. The rule of thumb is 1 shad per gallon. You can go a little more than that but I would catch and put them in another bucket for a few minutes before I put them in the bait tank. They are nasty fish and poop for the first five minutes in captivity. 25 shad in a 5 gallon bucket will make gravy in less than two minutes and then die. I also add about 1/3 cup of rock salt to the bait tank per 5 gallons of water to harden the scales and help preserve the slime coat.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    def use lake water or some chlorine killer if you use tap water....i would ad some aquarium salt to it too...

8. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I have a bubble bucket. I definately can suggest that you don't keep shad in it for a long period of time. Even overnight is a bad thing, unless you are going to add chemicals to aid in their survival. Gills seem to do fine for some reason, but not the shad.

With that knowledge, and some insight from Flathunter, I have just started to put the majority of my shad catch immediately on ice. The fresh cut seem to do just fine, as compared to live bait. I might put 5-6 shad in the bucket, but that's all.

Dealing with the shad, I found it to be much easier to hook them dead anyway. They were coming off too fast with just the spine hook.