Anyone trap Bobcats?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by DIESELkat, Sep 28, 2008.

1. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    A friend of mine just drew a coveted bobcat permit here in PA. I have no experience trapping them and was wondering if anyone had any advice. We will most likely be setting traps and then setting up and doing some calling and hope for the best.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    We don't have a Bobcat season here in Ohio ... That is about the only thing that hasn't moved in here and taken over .... I do have a friend that goes somewhere in the lower midwest every year to trap cats and have heard him talk about using mostly a cubby set ... can't help you much more than that ... Garry-

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    FFG has had some articles on trapping them. and I would get a book on cat trapping, have caught a few, your area will be some different, do to weather.
    check wit your state trapping ass. they are one of the largest and I'm sure they would be of help.
    JIM

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Justin,I havn't trapped cats in years,But I can give oyu some general tips on them,First ,Like all cats they are curious If its legal hanging a turkey feather near the set will get them close enough that a call or gland lure will get them in the set. The second thing I found after years of trapping them is ,They are roamers,Thier terretories are big and if you find fresh sign,set near it ,but expect to wait up to 10 days for the cat to return and check it out. Other than that about any set used for fox or coyote will get them,using cat lure of course.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If it's legal there a road killed deer will catch em too. Just be sure and put it under a cedar or rock overhang so hawks or worse yet an eagle don't get in your set.

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks for the help fellas. Im goin through all my old FFG's now. Were also doin some research on the best lure to use. Im glad to hear that an attractant will work too. I did think about hangin a turkey feather. We have used turkey feathers and squirrel tails for coyotes and foxes for years.

7. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    The game commission has a biologist that were going to get in contact with too and get some info. Were going to go up before the season and mark some spots on the GPS.

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    caught 13 bobcats with my cousin last year and they were all snared.

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    What type of setup were you using Donnie? The biggest problem right now if narrowing down thousands of acres of mountains and trying to figure out exactly where to set the traps. As of right now I think we are going to concentrate on the edges of clearcuts and areas with alot of treetops and blowdowns. Im figuring they will be cruising those areas looking for rabbits and such. Also, Ive read they are fairly dependant on water so were going to map out the small streams and then branch off of them and head to the nearest blowdown/clearcut area. This is going to be alot of work but very few people get this chance so were going to make the best of it. I believe there are only 20 or so permits given each year.

10. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    i agree with a lot being said .start at the water source every living thing must drink.i use the rubbing post.this is a stump or small tree with a good dose of beaver castor.the only problem i have is the other predators will work this set as well.

any and all sets made for canines will catch cats.you need to be on proper location and use plenty of eye appeal.cats do take time and many trappers pull thier traps to soon when it comes to cats.

many of cats fell to red fox urine and red fox glands but here again you will also catch other animals.

if you plan on snaring cats and plan on using snares or cable restraints then the size of cable are important.i use 1/16 or 5/65 cable.cats can be caught with the 3/32 cable but you will see a lot of refusals.

as a long time lure make named asa lenon once said that with cats a good musky smelling lure is all you need with plenty of eye appeal if set in the proper locations and i agree 100% with the man.

here i have found that i do better using a good cat gland lure after dec

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

bobcat pee bobcat gland and a top name brand matrix type lure will catch cats lots of eye appeal for sure at the set is a must,the biggest thing is set on a cat track if he was there once he will be back its there nature

12. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    i agree on setting on tracks and of course any type of sign.but your best bet is to learn the cats hunting patterns and proper locations.no set or lure will pull the cat off his travel route.if it do it will only be a few feet.

just remember all cats takes time.so don't pull traps to soon
    old toms takes a while longer to come back threw in fact some may never return.while the your younger kittens are still in the home range till late fall and early winter.

many don't talk about this but cats mark thier area like canines but a bit different.look for droppings in one area.

also remember
    sign can be hard to locate once the fall starts due to debre thats why knowing the cats hunting grounds and proper locations