Anyone thought about the Gathering?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by CatHunter24, Dec 12, 2009.

1. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know its only December, and usually we hold it in May or June, but I wondered if anyone had done preliminary planning for the gathering, such as choosing possible locations etc. Also, if anyone had thought about what dates would work best for folks. I know I missed last years gathering because it was either during or immediately after my finals. I would like to see the gathering pushed to June, but that's just my opinion :wink:. What are your guy's thoughts on the location and date etc?

2. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Curtis, Sorry you missed this past gathering. You would've had a great time. I know I did. I enjoyed everyone being camped out at the same area. Seemed like the BS'ing never stopped. Plus we had a lil' Tourney, and had 4 Forty + pounders caught. Pretty sure a great time was had by all. Looking forward to this coming year's one. As for the date; any time the big ones are biting...

3. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeah I heard Salt Fork was a great time. I know its a great fishery. I hope we can set a favorable date early so that more can make it. If people want to start throwing suggestions that's what this thread was for and it can eventually be moved to the Gathering Section. I do vote we have the gathering on the Ohio River if possible this year though :wink:.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Missed it but sure wanted to go.

5. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    the ohio sounds good but where at? maybe the public landing?or does everyone think it would be too crowded there?

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am with the other folks on this and that is Salt Fork is just too far away from me and many others from SW Ohio, so Ill opt for a Ohio River gathering, only problem is the last few times we tried to pull one together, it seems everyone badgers out at the last minute. I realize thats commonplace for a website like this but if we can get a good date out there, a place to camp for those coming a ways away and someone can organize it, Ill be there if the date works. Id bet we could pull together a mini session down here in Cinci if we could just get some decent weather and water over the winter. I know once we can see a decent weekend coming, Our SWOCC group will try to throw together an unofficial tourney after the 1st of the year, you know, show up and throw in a few bucks kind of deal.

Salmonid

7. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Markland pool in the Cincinnati area be what we fish, because of the quality of the fishery, but I can't help but think there are limited campsites. I think there is one up the GMR and then I do not know of any others that are close to the river except maybe towards New Richmond or Neville. Even the next pool up, the Medahal may be an option. I know Cincinnati or SW is a drive for many folks, but Salt Fork was a drive for those that came from this half of the state as well. I really would just prefer a river gathering similar to Indiana's last year over a lake gathering, so anywhere on the river would be an option for me.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Not quite Mark, jason454ci set one up on the Ohio and the only people that were signing up for it was the people from central Ohio i.e. Cbus, Newark, Zanesville area. It was canceled since gas prices were high at the time and the only people that said they would go were the central Ohio peeps. It was asked by the people that live on or near the Ohio where were some decent spots just needed some pointers but no one would fess up anything. Ill find the thread for it and members can decide for themselves if that is what happened.

Edited to add there was one on the Ohio at Forked run State Park in early 2000 not sure when but it was nice but it was hard to get bait and the river was a good 2 miles driving from the State Park.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  9. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Good points Ryang, but lets make sure this thread doesn't turn to bickering. I know its not easy to coordinate or set up a gathering. Thats why I wanted to start it early. I think any location suggestions and dates should be offered up by members and then maybe a vote done, maybe set up a thread that has a poll or something similar? I think brainstorming ideas would be the best thing at this stage. River can be tricky with bait, but offers some of the best opportunities at big fish and is not crowded imo. If Central guys are willing to come down I know that 8 or so people would likely be willing to go from SW Ohio possibly even 10 just of the top of my head...of course it depends on the work schedules. Plus, numerous Indiana and NKY guys may decide they want to join in because of their close proximity as well. Could make for a good turn out and gathering.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have no opinion on location because thats during the road construction season, I have no clue what my schedule will be. Jason454 has done a great job organizing things like this in the past, and anyone else that wants to get their feet wet in organizing a gathering, hats off to you. Location will always be an issue from my experience on here. You won't be able to please everyone. I experienced some negativity when trying to set up a breakfast in the past. My advise is, set up a good location for people to stay, on a good body of water. And if they want to come they will. Maybe we should try something different in my opinion. Maybe set up 2 gatherings, or possibly 3 Ohio gatherings throughout the warm months. One in the south, one centralized, and one in the north. That way everyone has the opportunity to make one or all of them if they wish, and that would hopefully rid those being upset on location.. Just my opinion. Bet there would be a good number of members, that would feel better about how this is being ran in fairness, and possibly consider making more than one a year. Just an idea that has crossed my mind before.... :wink: rollo

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Another thing you have to look for is a lake or river good enough that others that fish it will catch something worth going there for. Salt Fork has some monsters in it and at Dillon you are very close to decent fishing at the lake and the Muskegum River (Dillon is more central). I would go to a gathering at Buckeye but I would probably fish for carp there LOL.

12. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think this is a great idea and I have thought about it before as well. Maybe have one in SW ohio on the river, one in SE, Eastern ohio on the Muskingum/Ohio (marietta) or on an MCWD Lake (Tappan, Salt Fork,Piedmont), and one up in NW Ohio on the Maumee or something along those lines. Seems like it would give more opportunities as Rollo said, as well as allow members to have gatherings on some of the best water in the state. With the 2 latter rivers behind primarily Flathead Fisheries it would be logical to hold those pre-spawn or post-spawn and the Ohio River the earliest perhaps? Basically anytime the Blues are not on the nest :smile2:

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pretty simple. Setup a Ohio Gathering Southern, im sure someone local would head it up. Another Central. And a Northern. Think about it, one date for one gathering, some have issues with work, family, etc. Three different gatherings ranging from May thru say Sept. would give folks the opportunity to attend if they are interested in meeting different members across the state, and fish other virgin waters. Likesaid, this is just my opinion, and im sure many won't agree. I do agree Gary, wherever they are setup for, many things need to be considered. The availabilty to get bait, camping/resources, and accessible to boat or bankfish.. rollo

14. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well depending on what people would like, myself or some other BOC member from the south could head up that gathering. But I would like some other people to input on whether to have 3 gatherings (N, Central, S) 2 Gatherings (N,S) or just 1 mega gathering. I agree though, with today's busy schedule 1 gathering is a crap shoot for those who want to make it. However, with spreading it out to the regions of the state you fish with many of the same people and really don't meet a ton of new members. Either way, should be fun once we get rolling. :big_smile:

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    That is a good idea, you may not be able to camp but you might be able to at least show up and fish. I like Salt Fork even though I didnt catch anything (go figure LOL). But there were some bigguns caught. Ive never fished Tappen or Clendening but Ive heard they are good as well for the flatties.

Dillon to me is the greatest cause there is good lake fishing for Channels and good flats at the Muskegum, also the camping is good. Salt Fork is as good or better than Dillon.

16. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi

I think that 2 gatherings would be cool, or just one big one, either way you already know I'd be there.. be nice to meet some more people :smile2::smile2:

17. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's very true, Dillon has a great campground, the catfishing is great in the lake, the spillway, the licking river, and the Muskingum River, all within about ten minutes of the campground. Down in Cincinnati, it would work out best to have it at a campground of some sort, because that would probably the only place for that many people to stay. One good place that I can think of off the top of my head would be East Fork State Park. There is good catfishing in the lake and the Ohio River is a short drive away, offering two different pools to fish from.

18. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I agree with 3 gatherings. One on the Ohio, one on a central lake/river (Dillon for sure. You have 3 great fisheries right there and the campground is good). And a northern one. I have no clue on a northern one since I never fish above I-70. Maybe the Maumee?

19. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree Dillon sounds like it would make for a great gathering because it allows fishing multiple waters. I also agree with Angler4Life and had thought about East Fork. The lake offers good fishing, and although it is a little bit of a drive, it is not too far from the Ohio River. Another option I have thought about that Fishmonster13 brought to my attention is Miami Whitewater west of the city near Harrison. I think both Eastfork and Miami Whitewater are about 20-30 minutes from the Ohio. Steamboat Bend, a Hamilton County Park, would be perfect and has its own ramp but they only accept weekly reservations and RVs :angry:

20. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I know you mentioned Peidmont. Although it has some nice Flatheads in it, Shore access is pretty limited...