Anyone suggest good line counter reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kitsinni, Aug 31, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am looking for some advice on good accurate line counter reels. These will be used primarily for drift fishing on the Ohio. They will also be used some for striper/hybrid striper trolling. I like to know the exact depth of my bait when I am running lines directly below the boat. I love my Shimano Tekota 600lc but at $189.00 new that is not a cheap reel. Trolling reels are fine for this application because I won't be casting them far. I need something with good line capacity, good smooth drag and a strong reel. I won't be doing long casts so a super fast retrieve is not necessary. I do want a clicker on the reel though. I have been looking at the Penn 209 line counters but I can't find any reviews on them. I have heard really bad things about the Abu Garcia line counters. If the counter is not accurate there is no point in having it. If anyone has any experience let me know.

2. robjmiller

robjmiller New Member

State:
    Irondale ohio
    Niko look in to the penn 310 320 330 gti lc reels you can just type in penn store go to gti they will give you the info you need good luck

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    ABU makes a line counter AG 6500LC and AG 7000LC. I have a friend that uses a Daiwa and he likes it.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    was the abu you heard bad things about the A20lc-c, havent heard anything about theise. id think the more expensive abus like the 7000i LCSYNC would be pretty good:confused2:

5. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i do alot of striper fishing and use diawa line counter the 47 or 55 are the best the new acc depth r okay but not built like the old ones you can get them on ebay for a great price if you take your time bought mine for around 40 to 50 dollars each and i have 8 of them good luck also okuma has a good reel have a buddy who has them and he loves them bob bait

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I heard the abu reals are great as usual but the line counter is not very reliable. They have a new one with a digital line counter that takes a watch battery. I'm a little weary about putting batteries in my reels though.