Anyone still use dacron braid?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Shawn, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just curious, if anyone is still using dacron. It was the original braid, very tough with no stretch. I didn't seem to get as many hits, although it wasn't the best casting stuff.

Shawn

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    :0a21:

I haven't heard how abrasion resistant it is. If close to mono I was considering using it as a leader only over mono to soften the feel for the Flatheads taking the bait over stiff mono.

Any help out there would be nice guys.

:0a36:

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Baitkiller, that sounds like what I do. I use Power Pro Plus 80lb braid for the main line, Dacron soft braid 50lb for the leader and 25lb mono for the drop leader for the sinker. I like the way that Dacron feels so soft that I think it would help in the feel the catfish has when it takes the bait.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think that it is still used by many for backing on the huge salt water reels with the very heavy line.You start winding up to 1000+ feet of line at times with a 500 to 2000+ lb.fish on it is rough on the spooled line and the reel spool.The backing helps keep it from flattening out and digging in.Something is going to give,hopefully the backing will act as a cushion.Now many of the people than can afford to fish like this only use a line once per fish as they also can afford x-tra reels and to re spool each time a reel is used.This way the reel and line is always spooled to perfection when you hook up to a trophy sized fish.Yes,Some wealthy folk go forth with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of professionally spooled reels alone.Each is set up for fishing.Each is used once,and then taken to be re spooled to perfection by a machine for the next trip.Ain;t it nice!Now I am talking about using it with mono.I have no idea how or if it is used with modern braided line.A few years back there were still a few older die hard fresh water bait casters along with fresh and salt water cork and bait fishermen who still preferred Dacron braid.If you wished to go to the trouble or expense,I see no reason that you couldn't do it to any reel.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee