Anyone shoot a Rossi 357

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by 1sporticus, Nov 27, 2007.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am looking at a Rossi R97206 357 mag, with a 6" barrel and it's stainless with rubber grips. I have it priced out the door for 369.00 Does anyone have any info on these guns? Later Andy

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :wink:Andy that is a damb cannon:eek:oooh:

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Introduced 2002, Rossi's parent company is Taurus now. The unit is rated for +P loads, and if a newer model should have the Taurus patent locking key system & a lifetime repair policy. It's made in Brazil.
    Was it me I'd look for a Ruger GP100, 6" in blue, or a Blackhawk in blue, which wouldn't cost much more, but be a lot more gun, and a lot nicer; "This was Dad's." .
    If it doesn't have the locking key system, it's a 2002 model, or possibly used. Rossi was never known for the quality that Taurus had to rise to to give S&W a run for their money. I have a Taurus Tracker, in 41 magnum, but only bought it for the chambering. We got a shortage in selection of 41's, & I'm a big fan. It's OK. If you can live with a 4" barrel 357, you should be able to locate a good deal on a police trade in S&W still, that has been cared for by an armorer. Right now in this area, Blackhawks are going for $389, and GP100's for $425. (Blue, not stainless) Hope this helps....and yeah I'm one of those guys that hates cheap guns, but only because I owned so many before I wised up. LOL

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well Boots Thanks for the advice. I did however buy one, and it does have the Taurus lockout system on it. I got the stainless model, not because of the shiny it has but because it was in stock. I was going out to shoot today but it's freezing rain outside and a poor crippled fatboy such as myself aint got no business outside. I'll let you know what I think of it after I shoot it. I mainly got this for hunting, and protection. From what I have been told they killed a 150 lb black cat about 6 miles from here.
    Later Andy

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    You didn't do bad. The Taurus's of the 70's really sucked, but they got their act together. And ya can't beat a lifetime repair gig. And at first I hated the built in locking device, but, it's not in the way & I have actually used it a couple of times, going out of town to visit friends who have grandchildren running around. So I changed my mind about that too. It's nice to lock it an leave it in the bag and not worry that a lil one will do more than break a toe if they drop it, LOL. Lil hint, wear the key round yer neck. It's a hollow allen, and can bend in yer pocket with the pressure of the other keys.
    :big_smile:

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the advice Boots. What size of load do you recomend? Later Andy

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    For big cats and wrestlers the size of Hogan....the Federal 158gr Hydra-Shok will plant em.

My notebook says my most accurate load in any the 357's it's been shot in is 6.5gr of WW231 under a 125gr JHP, with a CCI500 standard primer. That's not anywhere near a max load, pleasant to shoot, and still much more than the FBI +p 38special load. I like the xtp Hornady bullet.

For target shooting, 3.2gr WW231 under a 148gr wadcutter, standard primer, lots of grins. Bullseye, and Unique are good powders for targets too.

:big_smile:

8. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ive been looking at the exact same gun.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have the gp-100, and would recommend it to anyone. BUT boots is right about rossi and taurus being better guns now than they were. with a lot of the newer handguns especially, it's getting downright hard to find a badly made gun!

10. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    went and took some pictures of my current .357, its a Taurus, 8 shot, 8 inch barrel. I absolutely love this gun! Its my baby. :wink:

Attached Files:

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Amy if that's yer baby....what do you carry if ya think there might be trouble? LOL. I was expecting a lil snub nose.
    :crazy:

12. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    :smile2::smile2:No No..No snub nose for me. I just dont care for them. :smile2:

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    DO NOT TIC HER OFF FELLAS ....WOMEN!!!! TRIED TO TELL YAS!:eek:oooh::wink:

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i got to shoot one of those taurus 8 shot .357's, and it was very accurate and awesome to shoot.