anyone scrap

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by deerhunter56, Dec 23, 2008.

1. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

not sure if this is the right spot for this thread but ok, just curious to if anyone scrap any type of metal. if so i figured we could start a talk and share tips and things about it. anyone needs info on it this is the place to post:big_smile:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't scrap but need several hundred pounds of lead at a bargin price.

3. justaredneck

justaredneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    i dont know much about scrapin , at least not metal :big_smile:, but i used to build, fix, and repair cell phone towers. it was a fun job that took me coast to coast. but at the end u have alot of garbage including lots of copper, so if u see a tower being built or worked on go and politly ask for the scraps. when i worked close to home i kept them for myself but when i was on the road i wish someone woild have came by and took the trash so i could just go home. i dont know what the going price for copper is now but it was pretty good when i did it. i hope this helps someone. and by the way merry christmas yall

4. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

well i called today and number 2 clean copper is .80 to a dollar a pound

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    All metals are down right now, if you are scrappin, sit on it and be prepared to ride it out. It's gonna be awhile.

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i scraped 191 cars ,trucks and busses this year along with many hundreds of tons of aluminum copper batteries and catalytic converters.. and i will be the fist to tell you if your in it to make a killin you got in at the wrong time!!! if you dont have warehouse space and the $$capital to store your materials for the next year or so then your going to be lucky to see a profit.. the auto markets are drives the scrap prices more than any other industry on the planet and as you know the market sucks!! i hear alot of people talking about the prices going back up but you can bet it will be a long time befor you see those $4# copper prices and $300 a ton for scrap cars and possibly never!! i am back to working on cars instead of scrapping and that is what i am expecting to be doing for a while!! :cool2:

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    My old man has been collecting cans for years i can remember him saving cans when i was a little kid and still to this day he is still sitting on them his barn is full of crushed cans got to be well over couple hundred pounds of cans its really getting out of control not sure what his plan is with them hes gonna have to have a 18 wheeler come out to take them when ever he finally goes cashes them in then there is his metal pile no mater what it is if its metal of some sorts he will stop in the middle of rush hour traffic to pick it up then there is the lead pipe pile well over couple hundred pounds he is a real pack rat

8. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

well st joe missouri quoted mixed loads "appliance and what not" for 80 a ton so we are back in on it. we all do it and still make great profits.

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i was getting $295 a ton for mixed scrap over the summer.. $80 is far from a come back!! got to think about how many appliances and such it takes to make a ton!! way more than a truck load!! :big_smile:

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yup.... I am not gettin my hands dirty anymore but I made a few dollers dion it..:crazy:..yer gamblin playin the market and this gambler folded...fer while though that money was good!.....REAL GOOD!:roll_eyes:(LOL)

11. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

i know what you mean, we were making 250 a ton also. 80 is sure better than 30 though lol anyways we dont take it in a truck we pull a big trailer thats loaded, usually in the range of 3 tons lol.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Just stay out of my dumpster. :confused2:

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i havent done the official #s yet but i know i make $12,000a week for sever weeks out of the summer!! ol catfishcommando was callin me bill gates for a while:big_smile::big_smile:

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :cool2:I know (LOL) I did ok... and I am done but not:eek:oooh: I know one winter over the last four I made over 800 a week and I never once worked over 12hrs that week(LOL) oh it was killing me I fished the whole summer and worked SAT.(LOL) Gotta love that junk pile .......
    :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa

OZZ its a treasure chest:eek:oooh:

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I'm till pissed from my buddie's BBq fireplace... I want justice!!!!

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive always collected cans but this year I scrapped everything I could get my hands on. I didnt get any $4 a pound copper but did get plenty of $3 which is still dang good. Right now Im making piles of radiators, copper, brass and holding on to it for a while. Its always fun making a couple hundred an hour, it would be more but ya gotta wait in line at the yard.:angry:

I felt bad for a few folks at these yards who didnt have a clue what they had. Most of the time the yard would let me grab a few things out of there, one day they let me have 2 aluminum rims and got about $50 total just for knowing what aluminum was.

I think this site only shows what the yards or market get, our price Im sure is much lower but I think itll give ya a good description on metals and when the price is up or down.

http://demolitionscrapmetalnews.com/?page_id=17