Anyone remember Lum & Abner?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Aug 27, 2007.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Went by the big city of Pine Ridge, AR the other day to visit the Lum & Abner store/museum. I remember listening to Lum & Abner on our old battery powered vacuum tube radio back in the 40's. Back then I hadn't been out of the county in flat, dry, treeless, west TX. Lum and Abner made that that Pine Ridge, AR place sound like a paradise... or it did to this ten year old.

No kidding, it's an interesting little place. The old store and museum is full of old stuff and not like Branson, ... it's free to browse all you like! It's well worth your time if your traveling in that neck of the woods. The little museum was the actual store in the old days.

Lum and Abner got started in radio on a station here in Hot Springs in 1931.
    More on their web site if you're interested.

Attached Files:

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They still play Lum and Abner twice a day on our local WMPM 1270 AM radio station.
    I found a Lum and Abner movie on DVD last Christmas. It was funny and nice to put names with faces.

Abner, is that our ring?

Gotta love the jot em down store.

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Mark.

I listen to old time radio some on XM 164. But doesn't seem quite as good as it was back in the old days sitting in the floor by the radio with the only light coming from a coal oil lamp.

Attached Files:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Dayton. I truely hope that these moments you are havein will pass. LOL! Thanx for sharein. You always manage to resurface some good stuff.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Full names.
    Lum Edders
    Abner Peabody

You've missed some good radio if you haven't followed their sagas.
    One of my favorites was the pyramid scheme Lum dreamed up of a way to amass alot of hogs because some company way up north was paying big money for hogs to process.

It worked out very good with getting a ton of hogs, but then they had to start an additional pyramid scheme for hog feed and out of pocket buy land to keep them all on.:big_smile:

In the end the hog market nose dived and again Lum and Abner didnt get rich quick.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Dayton and mark for bring back some good radio memories. I had all but forgot Lum and Abner. Much appreciated.:smile2::smile2: