Anyone picking-up any new gear before season?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by 223Smitty, Aug 2, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got as much as I can run already (atleast trap-wise). Might try some new lures this year. I have a buddy that makes some, so I'm gonna try some of his.

lol, I need to get my rear in gear & get started working on my traps though. I went through some of them today & realized I'd taken alot of them apart after last season, so it's time to fire-up the welder.....except that hasn't sounded too "fun" since we've been in the 90*+ range.

Anyone going "shopping" soon? If ya are....what's on your "need" list. Heck, as far as that goes, what's on your "wish" list?

I'm not going to say I won't pick-up any more traps this year, but if I do, it'll be used ones at the Indiana Convention next month.

Smitty

2. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Brian, Do you buy anything from Hoosier Trapper Supply?

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

bought some new strecthers(bobcats) will be trying out the liggett line of lure this season too

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep, Charlie's a great guy! If you've never been in his place, stop-in sometime....it's neat!

Smitty

5. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Brian, I known him for years, He has a whitetail mount for me that I need to pick up this month. Those guys are great, They will continue to get my business. Jeff

6. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    within the past couple years i've stopped trappin just about everything but beaver and it seems that i buy more 330's and double long springs(magnums) every year. so i'm sure this year wont be any different.

7. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    I might do a little trapping but I'm gettin a new rifle. Me and my wifes anniversary is the Aug 15. and she is gonna get me a 17. I want to try it out on some fox and coons and maybe snipe some squirrles.

8. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I about all I need, maybe some urine. I won't start till after deer season down here. That' usaully the third week in January, so I have plenty of time to take inventory yet. I picked up an excellent lure formula from one of Mike Marsyada's books, and tried it for the first time last year. Worked good on about everything. Jack.

9. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    im getting some coon and muskrat lures as well as otter lures. i have 3 1 1/4 longspring and some old number 1 muskrat traps coming in too. but ive been ready since about trapping season ended!

10. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

WORD OF ADVICE!!!

ok if u use the V-MAX ammo ONLY TAKE HEAD SHOTS ON SQUIRRELS UNLESS u want to halves of squirrels

OK next i use the 20 Gr Hornady XTP bullets and i am gonna maybe shoot a fox and maybe squirrel hunt with these(only late season squirrels so i can take longer shots) but u will get WAY better penetration with these and not run as much of a risk of wounding the animal which is always BAD

but here are some REALLY cool things to shoot when u get it

#1 fill up a 2 liter with water and shoot it at 20 yards its really cool
    #2 fill up a container with ice and shoot it its SUPER COOL
    #3 birds lol just a PUFF of feathers
    #4 POP cans.... IT WILL FILLET THEM OUT BIG TIME
    #5 ANYTHING that could explode lol

BUT DO BE CAREFUL

AND HAVE FUN

also what kind are u getting

mine is a Marlin 917VS
    i have a pic of it in the gallery

Thanks