Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the next reel I’m considering purchasing. For some reason this FTHII15SDCS Holds a lot more line than the FTHII15SD as you’ll see in the model info photos I posted below. Just checking with you guys that may own this reel to see if it really actually does hold more line than the SD model. The reason I was questioning it, is because they are both a 15 size. That’s nearly a 100 yard difference.
Camera accessory Peripheral Output device Cameras & optics Automotive design
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number
Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
366 Posts
CS is casting special

Ray it does indeed hold more line then the 15sd. If you compare both, the spool on CS is cut deeper so it will hold more line. It has a live spindle as well as upgraded bearings. The magnetic cast control is the same on the 15cs and 15sd… the only difference is how you control the magnet, the 15sd has a dial and the 15cs has a knob. I actually removed the knob on mine and installed the dial. The way I hold the rod the knob rubbed my wrist when I was fighting a fish or just reeling in.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a clue how much line any of my reels holds, what does it matter so long as theres plenty? I put new line on a reel and by the time I'm ready to change it again, i haven't used most of it.
I hear ya on that. But for me when I’m shark fishing I’ve got to know, cause I very well could get spoiled if not enough. And this reel will be used for both catfish and sharks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I own 4 of the Fathom 15’s that I use for drifting. They have held up well over the years. Don’t know much about the newer versions but When I replace the Fathom15 levelwinds I use for dragging, I’m stepping up to a 30 size for the faster retrieve due to spool diameter. I’ve never come close to being spooled with the 15 size reels and caught blues up to 60lbs.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I hear ya on that. But for me when I’m shark fishing I’ve got to know, cause I very well could get spoiled if not enough. And this reel will be used for both catfish and sharks.
Ya know you are right about sharks. Ocean fish of certain kinds could teach us we need more line. But catfish? Depend's I would think, on how big a fish your targeting! If your after bullheads you actually need just enough to get the bait to them, channels at 6# I've found can pull out my drag with even 10# line. Up the anti to 20# plus fish and the game get's changes again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts