Anyone one have info on the Congaree at 601...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by harper81, Feb 15, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Took the new boat to Wateree river today and there are so many trees in the water and the water is insanely shallow I was too afraid to do anything cause I didn't want to hit something. Is the Congaree river deeper? How about around the confluence of the rivers below 601?

2. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey, this is Lawrence's wife replying...aka "Riverdoll". The Congaree River is not only deeper, but wider as well. I personally like the Congaree because of this. However, this being said, you still need to use caution as there are stumps and debris in the Congaree, too. We are able to run our 20 ft. John Boat at all water levels, but when the river reaches flood stage is when there seems to be the most danger of hitting floating debris. Lawrence hasn't been out since last week, but the river was pretty "stable" when he was there.
    Congratulations on the new boat...hope you enjoy it!!! Drop us a line whenever you go....we might meet you on the water!
    :smile2: Happy Fishing!

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I agree with Riverdoll. I've run the Congaree all the way to downtown Columbia. It has a lot of sand bars as you get farther upriver, and, depending on the water releases; http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/uv/?site_no=02169672&PARAmeter_cd=00060,00062,00065,72020 it can be very shallow in spots, with sand or gravel shoals after you get upstream a few miles. As long as you watch your depth finder and read the water you should be fine. Just take your time, watch for the occasional log, and learn it as you go. It's also only a mile or so downstream from the bridge to the mouth of the Wateree, and that's a good area to fish. You can also fish the Santee River from the confluence of Congaree/Wateree for about 18 miles downriver. Some fine catfish habitat, and the direction I would most likely recommend. No problem with much shallow water down that way, either.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Almost forgot to add: the Wateree also has some good catfishing, but you may want to wait until you get more used to the boat, and maybe make a trip or two while the water levels are up a little. Right now they are very low. I assume you launched from the 378 bridge? The landing farther up near Lugoff is even shallower and rockier on this low water. good luck with your boat. Just take it easy, and use the shallow water drive when you need to.

5. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    I heard last night that were catching rockfish an plenty of them at the 601 brige where rivers come together, i thought you would like too know..:smile2::cool2: