Anyone need a good home for a dog?

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by catmanofohio, Oct 25, 2006.

1. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Hey me and my cousin enjoy grouse hunting, rabbit hunting, and other small game hunting, and we are looking for a couple young dogs, or older pups... already trained/training, for a cheap price... anyone have any for sale or free to a good home... post... thanks matt stratton

2. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I have a lab/mix rescue that needs a good home. She is about 7 months old. Getting her delivered might be a problem though

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    is it trained to hunt? and run the game?

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Catman,not to be negative....but......
    you'll be real lucky to find a "good" dog already"trained" for free or cheap.

Look in the classified ads under cars and you will see what I mean...

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    That's for sure! I spent probably a hundred or so hours or so on Buck but still trying to get him used to the "Bang" of the gun. Other than that he's a great duck/pheasent dog. I wouldn't part with him for the world! Good luck on your quest. You'd probably be better off getting a lab pup and training it through positive reinforcement and a cookie reward method though! I wish you the best cause dogs can be a great companion out there if they are trained properly!

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    hey bro...

My buddy raises some amazing beagles from a champion bloodline that are registered. He has a litter of pups now and I think he has 3 left. If you're really interested, PM me and Ill send ya his phone number. I think he was asking 150 apiece- wormer and all shots included.

I would not suggest something I didnt believe to be above average in this case. Ive hunted with his dogs before and theyre the best I know.

Hope the info helps.

Sal

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you may want to check the animal rescue places. I have had a few through the years from pure bred to mutt. Just do a search with the type of dog you are looking for and rescue. Most likely there is one in your area. They may not be free but they will be less expensive than a breeder. Plus you arre saving a dog. Good luck.

8. mavs_wife

mavs_wife New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey go to www.ukcdogs.com and look ther i have a friend that has dogs her name on there is 4ever_blue. she has a beagle he is 9months old, has been lightly started in a rabbit starting pen, he is alc registerable can also be ukc and arha. his colors are black and tan with white markings. his name is maverick but if ya have yahoo look her up on there too. her name is shewolf_huntress.

9. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Introduce him to a cap gun when bringing him his food for a couple of weeks. Next get some clay pigeons and a few friends and have them shooting the clays while you keep the dog at a distance. Then switch with a friend and have them bring the dog closer while you shoot if he has been trained to retrieve he will be itchin to go after the clays and will start associating the bang of a gun with a positive action. If the dog is gun shy it can take awhile to get over this obstacle and sometimes they may never get over it. These are some proven methods I have used with great succes for every pointer I haved owned and trained. Good luck!

10. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    My advice is to get a good deal on a dog that has some good bloodlines and do the training yourself. The reality is if someone is giving or selling you a trained dog for cheap there is most likley a real problem with the dog. The pointers I own and train would easily sell for over $2000.00 for a started dog a finished dog will go for more. Don't sell yourself short with a little bit of work you can have a dog that will hunt for you and make you proud. You will be much happier training and learning with a dog instead of inheriting someone elses problems. There is alot of information out there to help you train your own dog. Good luck!

11. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    yes i know but i live in town, and about 30 mins from my grandpa's farm (would be where kept, with my cousin and the family) and i have schooling and job.... and not much free time on hands.. and when i do its usually working at home... but if i knew how to train them then belive me i would be hard at work on it.. but i dont know a thing from the start about training PM me info plz and ill try it when i get a pup! :) thanks guys..

12. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Time wise you are looking at about ten minutes per day. As a pup you want the lessons short. I am not sure which breed you will have but Richard Walters has some great books availible for just about any breed. Barnes and Noble or a similar book store can help you find what you need. I would not buy anything until you decide what type of dog you want. I bought my first pup and started getting serious about dog training when I was 18. I had very little money and my set up was not the best but after I got started I was hooked. I bought the last pup in a litter that had been for sale for awhile. I got a smokin deal because the needed to make room for more pups from another dog. 13 years later I enjoy hunting over dogs that I know will work for me. You will make some mistakes over the years but nothing that you can't fix or live with. Good luck with your quest!